Author Topic: COMExtra port number  (Read 4196 times)

K5WK Ken

• View Profile
    • Email
COMExtra port number
« on: 2015-10-10, 21:04:50 »
On my computer COMExtra for FSK is port 17 - quite high since I have little attached to this computer.
I want to use FSK with DXLabs WindWarbler program.  I must select the PTT channel to be the same as the COMextra.  In Windwarbler my choices go 1 - 16.  It seems to me Comextra has a very high port number,
Is there a way to lower the COMextra port number? 

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: COMExtra port number
« Reply #1 on: 2015-10-10, 23:44:14 »
Open up the Windows Device Manager. Then click on the "Ports" part and locate the
COMEXTRA/COM3 COM port from the RRC and click on that. Then go on the "port settings"
tab, then on the "advanced" button. On the bottom of that window you can change the port
number to any port not currently being used.

If all the ports below 17 show "in use", then use the instructions I provided on
http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=877.msg4032#msg4032
to delete ones that are no longer in use.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K5WK Ken

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-10-11, 01:01:01 »
Good Grief.  These phantom ports could number into the hundreds.  MS should fix this.
However,
I copied your text  into a file which became .txt.  Then I found a way to rename it as a .BAT file using save as with quotations marks.
Then I copied it from this computer over to the WIN7 computer that is running Remoterig.  It is on the desk top.
When I double click on it, it blinks my screen, but does not seem to do anything else.  I tried running it as an administrator, no love.
Did I miss something?
Ken
-------------------------
In the past the COMFSK port was assigned to COM10.  I wonder if I renamed the COM17 to COM10 if that would work.  The problem is I would not know what to do if that messes up something.
--------------------------------------------
I seem to have fixed it.  I did some searching around and found a technique of using regedit and supervisor privileges to delete hidden ports.  I deleted most of them, but not deleting their drivers.  After restarting and plugging in the RRC-1258, the ports showed up without names or numbers.  I clicked each and searched for a driver - found on my computer - and when finished things seemed normal.
COM8 was COMExtra, and now all these lower numbers allowed me to interface with DXLABS.
  I managed to interface with their Commander and Windwarbler software for RTTY operation, and I am confident the rest will fall in line.
Ken K5WK
« Last Edit: 2015-10-11, 04:45:31 by K5WK Ken »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-10-11, 14:55:14 »
Ken,

Just rename the .txt suffix to .bat and it will work. Ignore any warning from Windows and rename
it anyways.

This is a lot easier than a registry hack. You don't need to deinstall drivers. They won't be used unless
a device for them is plugged-in.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX