Author Topic: K3 Twins, No Mic Audio...  (Read 13811 times)

W5RF

• View Profile
Re: K3 Twins, No Mic Audio...
« Reply #15 on: 2016-05-23, 05:35:08 »
count me as number three! I am hoping this thread will get me going on SSB with my K3/0 mini to K3s ... It always confused me that I was changing to the rear plugs on the K3s, via the K3/0 mini remotely, yet I was using the front plugs on the mini for my headset and mic.
W5RF

W5RF

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2016-05-23, 15:23:40 »
i followed this closely, made sure settings were as above.. and set my K3/0 mini to Fp.h while totally unplugged from control RRC..... then made sure the remote K3s was set to Rp.h, reconnected, and still no PTT or VOX action with my setup. When the mini is unplugged from the RRC. the PTT foot pedal does key the mini (red light on..) while plugged into mini front pedal... hook up RRC control.. connected to RRC radio and doesn't work. As noted bias seems to have no effect... Also, I unplugged the mic connection on the control RRC, plugged in yeas mic with RJ45 plug... no PTT and no VOX effect-- ditto when plugging it into the RRC radio side .

Doing all this in the same shack connected through router so there are not internet problems.

Comments -- the elecraft instruction say to put CODEC ATTENTUATION to yes! audio much stronger when set to NO
and yes I have RTP continuous and full duplex ON... (if off I have no receive audio in mini)

Is there a special thing about the mini concerning recognizing the mic plugged in the front?

I hope Brandon reads these and  can weigh in
bob W5RF

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2016-05-24, 00:57:58 »
Bob
Let me make a few suggestions.  In your case they may not be possible, but I'll offer them anyway.

Go to the Remote Station, and verify that you can use SSB on the Remote K3.  Make sure you use the same jack that the Remote Rig mike cable is plugged into.  If you can't this to work when you are there, the chances of it working when you are remoting in is slim.

You shouldn't have to write anything down- if you used the same jack and it works, then there is no reason that the Remote Rig should not work.  At least now, if the Remote won't modulate the radio, you know its not in the Remote Radio.

Go back to the remote site.  BTW, I plug my footswitch into the PTT jack on the back of the K3Mini, and I plug my microphone into the side microphone jack.   My SSB works fine.  Let me know if this doesn't work for you, and I can more into my settings.

Dennis W1UE

N6CY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2016-07-04, 18:04:42 »
All, new issue but similar problem! Thanks for any assistance from the group de Rick N6CY
Cannot transmit SSB voice via remote rig system, although SSB has worked well in the past.
Rig control and CW functions okay. All receive functions, including speaker audio, working okay.

Configuration and actions taken so far:
K3 Twin with local computer control (N1MM Logger Plus).
Heil Media Proset plugged into left jacks of K3/0 mini.
K3/0 mini with Elecraft RRIGSET cables, connected to Radio RRC (RRC-1258MkII).
Remote Rig interface boxes connected via wired home network. Control RRC is in home office. Radio RRC is in garage.
Control RRC (RRC-1258MkII) connected to K3/100.
K3/100 transceiver verified functioning properly. Have plugged in the headset directly to the rig, and it transmits SSB voice just fine.
Unplugged and reseated all external connectors to each of the two RRC interface boxes.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2016-07-04, 18:09:26 »
If SSB worked before and just stopped working, then often the problem using the K3 Twin
configuration is confusion on the MIC settings. As you know, there is a rear and front MIC jack
on the K3, which can be set using the menu. The problem occurs when one wants to change this
when your RRC's are connected, since then the settings are made only at the radio side.
In order to make a menu change on the control side, the RRC's must not be connected
at the time.

This may or may not be your problem, but I have seen this happen many times before.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

N6CY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2016-07-05, 02:44:39 »
The "real" microphone is plugged into the left side jacks of the K3/0 mini. I'm assuming the transmit audio goes through the RRC codecs and the reconstructed audio comes out of the Radio RRC via the AuxMic 8-pin jack. My Elecraft adapter cable then splits this AuxMic output into PTT and microphone audio. Using the rear panel microphone input (and the menu item set for RP "rear panel"). That K3 menu also has options for low and high input gain, and the ability to apply bias voltage (for electret condensor microphones). I'll try verifying the setting with the RRCs "not connected" and then establish the connection between the RRCs. Thanks, Rick N6CY

N6CY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2016-07-06, 04:26:32 »
Mitch
Happy to report my SSB microphone transmit path is working again.

With all connections previously verified correct, and K3 configuration as described---the variable changed was my Time Warner Cable modem+router. The user interface wouldn't accept my login (!) and the TWC technician (yes a 2-hour call) similarly had extreme difficulty getting into the router. We think the router was stuck in some kind of an update cycle. Anyway removing ALL power for a minute and allowing the modem to complete a full connection with TWC fixed all connections for remote rig.

Thanks to all who had suggestions. Back up and running!

73 Rick N6CY

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2016-07-06, 06:43:41 »
Hi Rick,

Glad to hear that you got it working.

That is however a bit unusual, since I have never seen a router problem cause only loss of SSB audio. It usually causes
complete loss of the connection or causes SIP errors, with no operation possible. In your case, everything was working
except for SSB audio.

Have fun & 73,
Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX