Author Topic: RRC PC-Client virtual com ports  (Read 6145 times)

OE1KBC

• View Profile
    • Email
RRC PC-Client virtual com ports
« on: 2010-10-15, 09:30:13 »
Hi,
alter testing the RRC PC-Client Dongle in serveral computers - i can not connect to the com ports.
I´m using over all the very last Firmware and Software. The connection takes place and the audio
transfer is ok in funktion. Also the PTT is working (I have a remote camera - so i can see the red
light on my remote Elecraft K3)

The old way with the RRC Client Box is also still working. I use the same LAN cable (change it from
the RRC Client to the Computer - same firewall and so on)
I´m using HRD 5.0 beta and even a homemade sotware for the remote antenna tuner. Both programms
state "can not open COMx port".

I´ve tried to switch off the Windows Firewall (Windows XP Prof. SP3) nothing changed.
Please give me more information to bring the com ports running.

73 de Kurt
OE1KBC
OE1KBC
Kurt, Vienna Austria

wi4usa

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: RRC PC-Client virtual com ports
« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-21, 00:46:04 »
I have the same issue.  If you get it working, please advise.  I have tried everything and the com ports just dont work.  I have tried it on two different computers using windows xp 32 bit SP2.

73 de wi4usa

Thom

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-21, 06:46:55 »
We are working on issues like this right now.

We have had one case that got no com port function whatsoever regardless of what we did in order to debug and fix it - until the person in question reinstalled Windows. We still don't know why he had to do that, it just looked like Windows failed using the com port even though it gladly installed it.

I am not saying reinstalling Windows is for you too, just mention it so that you know we are trying our best here. Another problem is that we don't see these problems ourselves, and therefore debugging is extremely difficult.

There will be a new version of the com port driver which will log messages to Windows' system log. It will make pinpointing what is wrong much easier.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

wi4usa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-21, 22:41:50 »
I would be more than glad to allow you to log in my remote and try to access the radio and serial port.  Let me know when your ready and you can try it to your hearts content.

wi4usa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2010-10-21, 22:43:52 »
Better yet, hook up a TS-480 and let me try to access it with my dongle using HRD.  If it works, we know its not the computer nor the software of the computer.  I'm glad to help resolve this.

73 de wi4usa

Thom

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2010-10-22, 20:49:06 »
I would be more than glad to allow you to log in my remote and try to access the radio and serial port.  Let me know when your ready and you can try it to your hearts content.
Log into what "remote"? A computer? If so it sure would be great to be able to do that. If not then maybe you are able/willing to try out a fresh rewritten com port driver which is able to log information to Window's log system? The logging function would help track down where it fails.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

wi4usa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2010-10-24, 19:54:05 »
I have an rrc-1258 connected to a Kenwood TS-480 at wi4usa.dyndns.biz.  There is no password and it is upgraded to the latest release.  Please feel free to connect to it and connect a dongle from you end and try to get the serial ports to work. 

I would also be glad to test  any new software that you have.  Just let me know where to download it.  You can contact me directly at thomas.jw.baxter@gmail.com