Author Topic: Using RRC in CI-V Mode and PC-Client alternatively  (Read 4466 times)

DL5FAB

• Use of RRC and RRC PC Client to remote IC706
    • View Profile
    • QRZ.com
I have tried to set-up a configuration which allows to use:

a) a RRC in CI-V Mode with HRD controlling the TRx remotely, or alternatively,
b) the PC-Client with HRD for TRx control.

For a) the PC with HRD is connected through the COM2 port of the RRC on the controlling side and the TRx is connected as well on the COM2 port of the RRC on the radio side. This works fine!

However, I was not able to get-out a CI-V signal on the TTL port as indicated on Page 55 of the manual! Both RRC are configured and strapped for ICOM CI-V Mode.

Soemhow, this behavious appears logical for me as the connection from the COM2 port on the control side should end at the COM2 port at the radio side. But than the figure is misleading - is it?

For b) the PC-Client is connected through the USB Interface to the Laptop running HRD. Here it is possible to connect through the COM0 port of the RRC on the radio side and get a proper CI-V signal on the TTL-port.

As I would like to use the configurations alternatively, I have therefore configured a connection through the COM2 port for HRD when using the PC-Client. This works but is wasting one port.

What goes wrong here?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Using RRC in CI-V Mode and PC-Client alternatively
« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-10, 21:02:05 »
Hi

do NOT activate com2 in either box, Then com0 and com2 are logically in parallell using setting from the radiosettings, that means that you can connect the PC to ControlRRC Com 2 and the TTL cable to the RadioRRC TLL (com0) port.

73 de mike

DL5FAB

• Use of RRC and RRC PC Client to remote IC706
    • View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-11, 23:17:08 »
Thanks Mike,

this is not obvious but it works. I assume, that in this configuration I cannot use the COM2 anymore?
At least it saves a V.24 to TTL Converter.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-12, 08:20:08 »
It makes the connection more simple but it occupies "two" com ports, Yes.

if you need all comports you can make a RS232 to TTL interface at the control end, then you can use only com0 for the CI-V

73 de mikel