Author Topic: Cannot Connect - Problem Resolved  (Read 2734 times)

VE3CFK

• View Profile
    • Email
Cannot Connect - Problem Resolved
« on: 2015-11-20, 16:12:32 »
2015-11-15, 18:41:35

My RRC-1258 MkII(s) and K3-Twins have worked fine for several months.
Today, tried to connect and I get busy signal.  Went to remote site and K3 was not turned on.  Manually turned it on.
Went home and tried to connect, all I got was a busy signal.

Question.  Where does one start to trouble shoot?
Is there a thread that goes thru trouble shooting?

2015-11-20

Found the problem, but most bizarre.  Don't know if anyone else has experienced the same.

Two problems found: one with the modem/router, the other with RRC-1258 Remote box.

In the modem/router all the port forwarding was corrupted.  Ports forwarded on wrong computers/devices.  Some computers such as TRX Manager running on my main PC was removed from my PC and reassigned to an X-Box!  After I reassigned and reconfigured the modem/router, I got TRX-Manager to work.  But Remote rig would not.

I originally had the RRC-1258 remote configured to bypass the firewall, so it was DMZ'ed.  I couldn't get port forwarding to work, but DMZ allowed the system to work (yes I know it's not the best configuration but it works).  So when I tried to set the DMZ option on the modem/router after the problem was discovered, the modem/router said the device needed to be using DHCP.  Using Microham set-up manager, I confirmed that the DHCP box was ticked off.  Tried to configure the Modem/router and still no go.  Went back into set-up manager, disabled the DHCP and tried the modem/router again.  Still no go.  Went back with set-up manager, ticked off the DHCP box and now the modem/router allowed DMZ configuration and now remote-rig works again!

So.  What would have caused the modem/router to reconfigure, and why would the software in the Remote-rig box get corrupted?

The RRC-1258 Remote box is normally off (no DC voltage applied) when I am not using the Remote.  So a voltage spike on power-up? 

Chet
VE3CFK