Author Topic: DDNS - problem  (Read 5351 times)

oh5tb

• View Profile
DDNS - problem
« on: 2015-12-10, 19:21:31 »
Hi all

I have two pairs of Remoterig 1258 MkIIs and have been running the first pair for about three years.

Now with the other pair I have problems connecting to the remote site. Sometimes all goes nicely but mostly not.
I think this has something to do with DDNS handling.

My setup:
- TS-480
- ADSL in control site
- Mobile 4G data in remote site
- Software 2.87 on both
- A dyndns - service

I can always connect to the web server port of my remote site over the internet using my dyndns - name. So DDNS works in general and port mapping is OK in my remote router.

When I push the power button my TS-480 usually nothing happens, just the "no connection signal" from TS-480.
But if I put the IP of my remote site to the "SIP contact" field of my Control site modem the connection is made normally.

Any ideas how to fix this casual disturbing problem?

TNX for info!

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: DDNS - problem
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-10, 20:45:12 »
All dynamic DNS does is to point you to the real IP number, nothing more. Looks like your dynamic DNS client is not updating the server to provide the correct IP number. You can look at this using the following:

1) Start a DOS box in Windows and type "ping XXXXXXX" where XXXXXXX is the dynamic DNS address. If this doesn't match the external IP number, it isn't updating.

2) Go into your radio RRC's settings and look at the dynamic DNS status to see if there is "OK" or an error message. If an error message, you can check the meaning at http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=1481

3) You can see if the Microbit dynamic DNS service is updating at http://ddns.remoterig.com/status/

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

oh5tb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-10, 21:00:54 »
Ping and also nslookup <my ddyndns name>  show the same actual IP which I then use in "SIP contact" of my ctrl box with success. That plain IP works, but the dyndns - name does not work.

Dynamic DNS status is "unknown" and DNS Status is "OK, remoterig.com = 213.180.92.20"

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-11, 08:43:39 »
A Dynamic DNS status showing "unknown" is like the DDNS not being turned on, or that its settings are corrupt. I assume you have turned it on, so maybe the settings are corrupt, though I do not know how that would happen since they are generated by the RRC itself(when using our DDNS system). You could try to turn off DDNS, save and restart the RRC, turn it on and restart again.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.