Author Topic: TS 480HX PTT issue  (Read 4900 times)

VE3PK

• View Profile
    • Email
TS 480HX PTT issue
« on: 2015-12-05, 15:24:57 »
Hello Group.
I'm a 2 year successful and happy user of Remote Rig with a TS480HX.
Earlier in the year, I purchased a used 480HX with a paired RRC-1258Mii.
Just recently, I unpackaged the used radio at a remote location and utilized it successfully as a local station there for several weeks.
Prior to leaving that location, I setup the transciever with the RRC base unit and provided hard wired internet.
I have a fixed I.P. there.
(I did not have a chance to test the full functionality  of the radio but receive worked as it should). My mistake.
Upon returning home, I have now found that while I can remotely operate that radio as a receiver, I cannot PTT with the mic or transmit through the keyer.
The radio will transmit when the "tune" button is activated and I can hear the tx signal a couple thousand of Km away.
The outboard LDG autotuner there works as it should.

In order to problem solve, I have done the following network things:
-I have updated the RRC firmware on both ends. Now 2.87
-Re-mapped the port forwarding on the ASUS router  from a range of 13000:13002 to 13000,13001,13002.
-Applied DMZ to the address of the RRC at that location.
-Turned off the firewall. No noticeable difference.

The firmware on the router is about 1.5 years old and there are updates.
I am hesitant to remotely upgrade in the event that the router there fails.

Something interesting but maybe not important is that the RRC DDNS feature does not resolve.
(Which give me hope that its a port forwarding issue and not a cabling or jumper issue at that end)

I have been issued a remoterig host name and password.
It is not broadcasting and I am obliged to connect directly to the RRC.

My question is in regards to the jumper wire configuration.

If the jumpers are not configured for the exact model of TS480HX, will the radio fail to go into transmit?
(I never checked that configuration since that RRC was mated to the radio I was told.)

I have mirrored the configuration of my exiting RRC setup and have added a second profile to my existing RRC control head unit here.
I have full functionality of my local station across the shack but no TX at the new remote location with either my existing control box or the new one.

I hope that this is not too confusing.
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading

Peter
VE3PK

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: TS 480HX PTT issue
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-06, 19:15:42 »
If you have recieve audio there is no settings which have any influence on the PTT signal as the PTT signal is included in the Audio stream. it's only cables and red straps.If you have used wrong setting of the two descirbed in the manual. PTT still works but the setup will be sensitive to RFI as the ground connections is switched. If the audio is muted when you press the PTT the connection is OK at the control end.

73 de mike

VE3PK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-07, 01:35:19 »
Hi Mike.
Thanks for the explanation of how the PTT signalling is sent from the control end to the remote.

Since I did not verify the installation of the red jumper straps on the RRC or the TS480HX head cable that is connecting the transceiver to the TTL connection on the RRC, I am now thinking that the problem is very likely to be cabling/connections and not networking issues.

(The TTL cable is approximately 9 feet long and tightly coiled up with a plastic tie wrap to keep it neat.)
It was used to connect the control head to the transceiver while I was there.

In the meantime, the station makes a nice receive station until I can return to the remote site to truly solve the issue.

73's de Peter

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-10, 15:57:07 »
Hi Peter,

Just out of curiosity, try if VOX works.

73 Marvin VE3VEE

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-10, 17:54:49 »
To make VOX work, both RRC's must have RTP tx mode set to "continuous".

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K1IKE-Joe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-12-11, 00:54:05 »
Are you using a mike that you know worked in the past with the 480 and the 1258?

Joe

W1EAR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-12-18, 21:27:35 »
I am having the same problem, except I have triple checked my straps and the cabling for the Radio side has worked perfectly in the past (with a different Control, however). The microphone has worked with the other Control in the past and works today when plugged into the TS 480HX. Unfortunately, the other Control is over a hundred miles away, so I am unable to see whether the microphone still works with it.

I updated from 2.87 beta to 2.87 firmware. VOX works.

--

Never mind. Mystery solved. I printed the strap diagram on a laser printer, and the yellow strap faded to invisibility. The fifth strap made all the difference.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-19, 02:23:27 by W1EAR »