Author Topic: K3/0 mini/RRC computer interfacing  (Read 4774 times)

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
K3/0 mini/RRC computer interfacing
« on: 2015-12-29, 21:30:03 »
Trying to get rig info to a laptop (for logging) from either the K3/0 mini or RRC. Tried the USB and serial ports on the RRC, and the USB port on the K3/0 but cannot read either from the PC. Suggestions?

HNY
Dennis, K7FL

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: K3/0 mini/RRC computer interfacing
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-30, 15:49:32 »
Dennis, here is my CAT checklist for the K3 Twin:

CAT Checklist for K3 Twin
----------------------------------
Note first that in a "Twin" configuration, COM2 is used to "tie" the two ends together and carries the CAT data. In order to access CAT, you need to get to COM2 without touching it. The easiest method is to duplicate COM2 over COM1 using a function in the RRC as follows:

- Change both RRC's COM1 to mode-7. Note that the baud rate does not have to be identical with COM2 to fit a lower bandwidth or software requirement.

- If using a "real" serial cable:
     - connect between the control RRC's COM1 and the PC, but note that the pinout is not the standard straight-through serial port. Use the pinout description in the RemoteRig manual, or just try a null-modem cable which usually works (may need a gender changer).
     - The  serial setting for COM1 "Use USB Com Port as COM1" must be set to NO

- If using USB:
     - make sure that first Microbit Setup Manager is installed first on the control PC to get the drivers.
     - Then change the serial settings for COM1 to change "Use USB Com Port as COM1" to YES
     - connect the USB cable between the RRC and computer and wait for the drivers to finish installing
     - go to the Windows Device Manager and look at which virtual serial port was assigned to COM1 and use that for your software, taking the correct baud rate into account.

Note also that you can pull CAT data in parallel off of the radio RRC to use a PC on that end, or to sync with a remote device (amplifier, SteppIR, etc.)

73 & HNY,
Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-30, 21:57:22 »
Hi Mitch ... thanks for the response.

At your instruction: "- Change both RRC's COM1 to mode-7", I am not seeing that option.

Here is the process I am using:

- Both RRC's on the LAN, connected and powered
- Setup manager executed and all drives loaded by WIN7
- mini USB connected to the RF end RRC; other end of cable to the USB port PC where Setup manage was loaded.
- start Microbit setup manager
- reports device is connected and the display shows serial Port tab on far right
- Selected Serial Port Tab and entered COM 1 in window; display indicates Port Not Installed
- Select Create ... error message indicating "Missing IP address/host name!".

Probably a silly oversight, but I cant figure it out myself.

Best regards,
Dennis, K7FL
-

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-30, 22:00:40 »
Dennis,

This refers to the web interface, go there for the settings.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-31, 03:10:47 »
Here are settings I used for N1MM+ and DXLab Suite:

Got the K3/0 Mini and N1MM+ and remote K3 working now on Win 10 PC using RemoteRig gear:
My steps:

1.  In RRC (RemoteRig Control) Serial Settings set USB ---->COM1 = NO

2.  In RRC I/O Settins set USB DTR CW = COM1

3.  In N1MM+ Configuration:  Radio K3 - COM 7 for rig control -38400 8N1   DTR/RTS Always OFF

4.  In N1MM+ Configuration:  No Radio COM4 for CW Keying and PTT   DTR=CW   RTS=PTT

5.  In K3 Menu CONFIG  PTT-KEY = OFF_OFF      (*also works if set to OFF-DTR)

6. Cables:  USB Cable from RRC Mini USB Jack to PC;  and Elecraft USB/Serial cable from RRC COM1 to PC

N1MM+ reads freq and mode and ESM feature works .

Frank VO1HP
Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig