Author Topic: Extra dot on CW  (Read 4998 times)

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
Extra dot on CW
« on: 2015-12-30, 21:37:30 »
Using the K3/0, RRC's and a K3/100 across the LAN. On CW, I notice an extra DOT at the end of each transmission. If a single character is sent (like an e), it transmits as an I. If I send a word, the single extra DOT is placed at the end of the word.
Ideas?

Dennis, K7FL

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
Re: Extra dot on CW
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-31, 03:13:35 »
I have that problem back and think it is related to RF getting into the remote shack.    In my case it is only happening on 160M...if I reduce power to 40W the problem goes away.   I already eliminated this issue a month ago by adding ferrite beads and toroids but for some reason it has returned on that band!!....

Frank VO1HP
Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-31, 03:29:56 »
Thanks Frank ... I originally considered RF as the cause. but it still occurs with power reduced to zero.
Cheers,
Dennis, K7FL

SM5DXU

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-31, 14:02:10 »
Thanks Frank ... I originally considered RF as the cause. but it still occurs with power reduced to zero.
Cheers,
Dennis, K7FL
Check that the keyer is configured for Iambic mode A!

Iambic mode B is awfully difficult to come to terms with if you are used to a conventional keyer like the Hallicrafters TO-keyer or a Morse key.

Regards / Gus

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-31, 19:26:21 »
Thanks for the reply Gus. The keyer was in iambic A. I tried both A & B and the result is the same (an extra dit on end of the transmission). I also confirmed that this occurs in the TEST mode, which indicates it is not RF related. If I switch to a voice mode (e.g. LSB) and monitor with the side tone, the problem does not occur.

Regards,
Dennis, K7FL

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-12-31, 20:47:15 »
Problem was due to the side tone setting. Once the side tone was disabled, the extra dot issue disappeared. Thanks to all who responded.

Dennis, K7FL