Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 4619 times)

ua9cdc

• View Profile
    • Email
Need advice
« on: 2016-02-05, 14:10:31 »
I plan to purchase all the nesessary items to set up a remote station. I have a pair of K3, Expert amplifier (1K and 1.3K but plan to start with 1K first). There is a remote shack with multy band beam (2el 40m, 5el 20m, 5el 15m , 6el 10m and rotatable dipole all on one tower). Unfortunately the antenna is on the old military rotator so the direction indication utilizes selsyns and I need to devise the way to convert this indicator into something that can be used with web based interface.
Now questions:
I could not clearly understand how many RS232 ports are available on the RRC box. I need one for CAT/CW/PTT to K3, then one to control Expert amp annd probably one more linked with CAT port to control   CAT/CW/PTT from the logger. Is it all available in the pair of RRC boxes designed for Elecraft or do I need some additional box?
Regarding antenna control. Am I OK with the remote switch that controls 5 relays so that I will be able to control CCW, CW, switch between 3 antenna cables(using external coax relays which in turn will be controled by the switch
,power on to switch on all the equipment. And the same remote switch has provision to indicate the direction of the antenna if I attach some potentiometer to the indicating sesyn?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

73, Igor UA9CDC

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: 2016-02-05, 14:32:59 »
H Igor,

I can answer the questions about the ports:

Assuming you run in K3 Twin mode, then COM2 of the RRC's are blocked for the connection between them. Then you must  use COM1 for CAT. In that case, no further ports are available.

You will need a separate serial server, such as from Lantronix or Moxa, or the specialized server from Microbit for the SPE. I have been using Lantronix servers for years
for rotors and SPE amplifiers with good success.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

ua9cdc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-02-05, 17:44:40 »
Thank you Mitch. Clear about K3. What Latronix product would you recommend then? Can you give me URL? Is this one OK? http://www.lantronix.com/products/eds1100-eds2100/#tab-overview
I suppose I can use RC-1216H for the amp. And I still probably need WebSwitch with 5 relays to control antenna. Can somebody enlighten me about these two? Are they just what I need in my situation, described in the first post?

73, Igor UA9CDC
« Last Edit: 2016-02-05, 18:15:35 by ua9cdc »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-02-05, 18:14:13 »
Hi Igor,

Pretty much anything that provides a serial signal over ethernet will work, but there are some exception. For example,
there is a Moxa "Lite" server that will not work. I have used a number of Lantronix servers, but I have installed several
of these: http://www.lantronix.com/products/uds2100/

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-02-05, 18:41:23 »
Yes you can use the RC-1216H for the AMP. It support 1K-FA today, and we will add suppport for 1.3KFA and 2K-FA the comming weeks, as we have a PA on the way from italy now. You can use the Webswitch with the RCU-1216 (rotor control unit) then you get 5 relays + 3 relays for controling the rotator and a analog input for a pot indicator. Thats what I use to control the 3 phase motors rotating my OH8QD towers.

73 de mike

ua9cdc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-02-05, 20:38:37 »
Thank you Mitch and Mike. All clear so far. will start planning, collectin funds and purchasing.
Just one more thing Mike. Has RCU-1216 unit got programmable limits that would not allow rotation of more then say 360 degrees?

73, Igor UA9CDC
« Last Edit: 2016-02-05, 20:43:38 by ua9cdc »