Author Topic: K3 Remote No SSB Power Out  (Read 5869 times)

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
K3 Remote No SSB Power Out
« on: 2016-01-11, 10:57:47 »

For some reason I have no power output on SSB...using K3 mini with remote K3 and RR Boxes. 
I have rPNL.H BIAS selected and MIC GAIN at 12.   SSB was working and I have not changed anything in past couple of days.   Headset CM-500  plugged into the SPKRS and MIC jack on the side of the K3.   Also have Heil...same issue.
Last night I tried to work JT65 on 160 and could not get any output. 
Full power ok on Cw.  Receiver audio sounds normal.   
If I use the audio files in M1-M4 all is normal and they play and I get RF out.

K3 Utility tells me that FL1 FRQ is -.77   also same on the CONFIG menu ....I have not changed  that setting but I have seen a few posts elsewhere that claim if the OFFSET is "off" too much there will be no SSB power out.

When I turn on the MONITOR and press XMIT I can faintly hear my audio like in a barrel.  So the mike works...

Anyone have any clues as to what is going on?

Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
Re: K3 Remote No SSB Power Out
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-12, 13:57:21 »
I am thinking that my I/O settings are screwed up.  Could  that be why SSB audio not getting through the RR boxes...?

Here is what I have today:
IN0 mode 0
OUT0 mode 1
OUT0 mode 1
OUT1 mode 0
OUT1 mode 0
OUT2 mode 0
OUT2 mode 0

I don't really understand what the 1's and 0's mean?  does 1 mean first selection in the pull dowm menu??   In case of OUT0 there are only TWO selctions...so what does "3" mean?

These are different from settings I had in October:...don't know how I got these.
IN0 mode 1
OUT0 mode 3
OUT0 mode 3
OUT1 mode 1
OUT1 mode 1
OUT2 mode 1
OUT2 mode 1
Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-14, 20:56:16 »
I discovered that CODEC INPUT ATTENTUATION parameter was set to YES in the Remote box.  How it got set to YES is unknown to me.  This didn't look right to me.... I set it to NO  and also set the default values for CODEC OUTPUT and CODEC INPUT GAIN in both boxes.  I adjusted CODEC INPUT GAIN in the CONTROL box to 40.  I now have SSB audio working again using both headsets...the Heil and the CM-500.!   The problem was the CODEC INPUT ATTENTUATION was turned on....I don't know how it got turned on or when.

I feel like a clutzh not having noticed this before.  I guess its an issue of understanding what all these settings are actually for.   It would have been helpful if there was a reference table listing out what the various settings are addressing.

Anyway thanks for your help and interest in replying to my post.  Your thoughs helped me correct the issue.

73 Frank VO1HP
Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-15, 08:19:32 »
Glad that you are back on track now!  :)
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-01-18, 21:22:28 »
Frank..  The settings that you had in the RRC1258 appear to be from the settings provided by Elecraft in their K3/0 Mini manual.   Those settings had Codec Inp attenuation set to YES along with CODEC Out =250, CODEC Inp Gain =32, and CODEC Inp Preamp = 163.
Regards, Larry  K1UO

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-01-19, 01:49:01 »
Thanks for your reply Larry.  Its possible I used those settings when first installed the unoit....in any event when I first installed the remote SSB worked all OK so if the ATTENUATION was set to YES at that time then something else must have been going on....I did a FACTORY reset of the CONTROL unit. ....  SSB now works as well as VOX and ALC indication on the K3 Mini display.

SO I will not be messing with settings for some time!
Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2016-01-19, 01:52:00 »
Larry...also see this:

I could see in my remote webcam that the radio was on MIC SEL: FP.H BIAS and needed to be on rPH BIAS ....the Mini was in opposite selection rPH........I disconnected the Mini from the CONTROL box and set it to FPH then powered down and reconnected...then changed menu on Mini to rPH and could see on the camera the K3 changed now to rPH BIAS.

Plugged in mike with fingers crossed and VOILA...SSB working!   So how did mini and K3 get on opposite settings?? ...no idea but at least working again for now.

Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig