Author Topic: Typical data usage?  (Read 4334 times)

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
Typical data usage?
« on: 2016-01-29, 21:07:44 »
I have a K3, KAT500 and KPA500 with the K3/0 mini and RRC boxes. What kind of data consumption might one expect from this configuration? I suspect that's a tough question with many variables, but lets assume the radio is on and receiving for  24 hours, limited knob twisting and transmitting.

The reason I ask is that I have multiple host sites for my remote station. Some have great Internet access (Comcast high speed cable), others ADSL via WiFi, and one with a 4G Jetpack. All of these options have bandwidth, latency and cost implications. As a CW op, latency is a critical factor in my case. ADSL in my area is typically 10Mbps down, 600Kbps up ... probably acceptable from a bandwidth perspective. One of the best QTH's under consideration obtains their Internet connectivity via a Verizon 4G Jet pack. The bandwidth is probably adequate, latency is around 60ms (in their installation), but the data charges can be significant. But, it all depends on how much data I will actually consume (my question above). Any ideas?

Thoughts on these different connectivity options (cost, bandwidth, latency) are most welcome.

Kind Regards,
Dennis, K7FL
Battle Ground, WA

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Typical data usage?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-29, 21:29:25 »
This question comes up again and again, you can search the forum on the upper right.

One example: http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=1119.msg4654#msg4654

Just make sure you use a low bandwidth CODEC (see the manual Appendix A) and you should be alright.

Also keep in mind that latency is even more important, especially for CW and data modes. The radio can not
be hosted on a 3G/4G standard system, because you need a public IP address (you can search on that as well).

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-29, 21:47:12 »
Thanks Mitch. My apologies. I did a search but must not have selected the correct key words.

I'll go to the link you suggested and research.

Best Regards,
Dennis, K7FL

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-30, 02:34:21 »
No need to apologize, Dennis. I was just trying to give you a tip, not chew you out. Sorry
if you misunderstood that. A lot of people miss the search function.

Let me know if you have any questions you couldn't otherwise find the answers for.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX