Author Topic: 480 Won't Power On  (Read 6560 times)

kansas400

• View Profile
    • Email
480 Won't Power On
« on: 2016-01-31, 19:45:47 »
Hi - I had to replace my  control RRC 1258 with a new one due to lightning strike but can't get the Kenwood 480 to power on. The new control RRC is assigned a new ddns name and I've upgraded both units to latest firmware.

So the boxes look ok - says radio ON, connection ON, SIP - no last known errors, connection status - connected/transferring, rtp status -excellent, etc. - so everything looks good when I use the web interface to troubleshoot.

I get a soft click from 480 head about every 20 seconds but otherwise it won't power on.

I've been through the setup process with Mitch 2 years ago so I'm not really a newbie!  Just need some troubleshooting help!  Thank you!

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: 480 Won't Power On
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-31, 21:03:11 »
Make sure the jumper inside the RRC is set to 9v and that your power supply is OK. Sounds
like a power problem to me.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kansas400

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-02-02, 05:05:14 »
Ok, thanks and I will try that. Sounds like the replacement control RRC box that I just got may have come with the jumper No. 2 in place so I'll try removing that which should be the 9v setting. Thanks and I will try that.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-02-02, 05:41:20 »
....and check the power supply if that doesn't help, it may be defective.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kansas400

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-02-02, 21:14:09 »
The replacement (new) RRC control box that I just got didn't come with jumper no. 2 installed (which should mean its set for 9v which is what the TS480 needs). When you say ensure it's 'set to 9v' - just confirm, no jumper no. 2 installed means it's already at 9v?

I also tried 2 power supplies and both work fine with the 480 and I'm getting full power output on both power supplies when I'm using the 480 without remote rig.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-02-02, 21:24:28 »
No, that jumper is off by default and must be set to on to make the system work. This is covered in the manual on page 182.

Are you saying you tried that and it didn't work?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kansas400

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2016-02-03, 00:27:10 »
Yes on page 182 and 183, I've tried to remove or add the red jumper wire (shown as grey in the diagram) under options 1 and 2 and I'm doing this on the control RRC (the one  with the wifi antenna sticking out). So either with or without that extra wire going from pin 8 at the top or by removing it, I"m assuming that toggles between 8 and 9 volts depending on whether that wire is present. But still no luck, and the interface still says radio ON, connection status OK, connected/transferring.

I did also try my kenwood wires between control head and radio and without the remote rig, the wires all seem to work so I don't think I fried my wires during lighting strike but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2016-02-03, 00:43:22 »
The jumpers on the circuit board are not red, they are black. Only the strapping wires for the microphone audio are red.
I suspect that you may be confusing the strapping block and the jumpers on the board, since you referred to a "pin 8"
which is non-existent on the board. Look at pages 22 & 23 in the manual.

Does this make sense?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kansas400

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2016-02-04, 00:01:50 »
Yes i've tried those combinations - so on the control RRC (one with the wifi antenna), that board has the black plastic jumper and I've tried removing that (and I've tried it with the jumper). The control RRC with the wifi antenna actually wasn't the box damaged by lightning, so that box has been working with the black jumper in place and the existing red strapping wires in place for 2 years now with no issues.

So I'm trying to figure what has changed in my setup - the radio RRC board got fried, but I now have a new board that Microbit replaced, so the board is new - I configured the red strapping mic audio wires per the manual when I received the box back from Microbit (and tried both TS480 configurations in the diagram for the red mic audio wires). Then my router is new - Netgear Nighthawk, but the Setup Manager browser is not showing any errors. I wish it were some type of SIP error - those are fairly easy to troubleshoot.

So those are the 2 variables that have changed since I last used the setup - a new radio side RRC box and new router in the home (and Ive tried both the DMZ and specific port forwarding on that new router).

Likely variable would that new radio RRC box - anything special that I need to do with that new box? I did ensure both boxes had the latest firmware.  Thanks.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2016-02-04, 00:25:48 »
Ok, that is important information.

The new router likely has a new subnet. Even if it has the same subnet, then the RRC would have been issued a different
internal IP number, assuming the RRC is set to DHCP. Assuming you haven't done this already, then the new IP address
needs to be entered into the radio router's port forwards or DMZ. The control RRC needs to have the new RRC's dynamic DNS
address entered into its SIP contact field. Most likely you have an error somewhere in that part.

Also make sure that the router has SIP ALG turned off and that you do not use port 5060 for SIP.

The control RRC should not have ports forwarded. It will be most flexible if set to DHCP, in case you move it offsite.

If all this is OK, then I can send you my networking checklist to go through to make sure. If that doesn't help,I can take a look at your
settings (e-mail HTML files to dj0qn (at) darc.de) or use Teamviewer to take a look.It is likely a simple error and highly unlikely a
hardware problem with the RRC.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

« Last Edit: 2016-02-04, 04:43:21 by dj0qn »