Author Topic: STATUS shows Radio OFF - but Radio is actually ON  (Read 12783 times)

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
Re: STATUS shows Radio OFF - but Radio is actually ON
« Reply #15 on: 2016-02-06, 18:52:17 »
Yes I am beginning to understand what is happening and what the counters mean.  RTP/UDP Stalled means that data is not getting transferred between the K3 twins and the line is dropped at the end of the count down to zero.

At the remote site  the RR Remote is located in a workshop at the end of 50m of outdoor buried Ethernet cable which is connected to the router in a my cottage.  From the logs and stats table for the router I cannot see any errors on the fibre line coming into the house from the FOTS network.  Can only assume it is a good line.  The modem is new having just been replaced.   

In the workshop the ethernet feed enters a TP link SG1008 gigabit switch (cheap $30)  and the RR box is on one of the ports of this switch. The interconnecting cable are all shielded Ethernet.   Could be there is something gone wrong with the switch or the the patch cords....? 

I also have an Afedri-NET SDR also running through the switch and monitoring it remotely at home do not have any issue logging on and tuning around using SDR Console...although intermittently I get some chopping of the audio for a second or so and sometimes will see alert "SYNCH LOST" but radio keeps working and the software keeps decoding.

Here are Speed test results today taken from PC in the remote workshop connected to one of the switch ports:
Download Speed: 130911 kbps (16363.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 23513 kbps (2939.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 26 ms
Jitter: 10 ms
Packet Loss: -1%
2/6/2016, 5:47:44 PM

I was thinking of doing a reset of the RR Remote to factory settings on my next visit there but will check the switch port  first .    I didn't like the SG1008 switch in the beginning because it is in a plastic case...it was only switch available locally.

What ever is going on has rendered the K3 remote unusable.
Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2016-02-06, 19:30:20 »
Reseting the RRC will not help. it's not that kind of product where the functionality getting degraded over time like PCs, android devices etc. Every time you connect power, it start from 0. Try to use a progrem like ping plotter to find out if the problem is some where  between the QTHs. If it's not you have to replace the network components until you found out which one is failing.
/mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2016-02-07, 03:13:10 »
Frank,

I have helped over 300 people get their RemoteRig system running over the last few years. In at least 20 cases, it was
necessary to replace a router that was causing the problems that you describe. I would try it from a different location
to determine if the problem is on the radio or control side, then install a different router. Focusing on the RRC will not bring
you any success.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2016-02-07, 13:14:01 »
OK Mitch...thanks for your note ...I am focussed now on the gigabit switch that I have at the remote and based on your input will look at moving the router from the cottage to the workshop.   Last evening:  the K3 would turn on 2 out of 5 times and if it did turn on there was RTP/UDP failure and the counter was started.    Last evening the telco network would have been busy with lots of traffic...and heavily loaded but don't know if that is impacting my service at the location...which is at the end of the feed in a rural location.

The strange thing about this problem is this:   Today at 6:30am local I turned on the K3 and it has been on for two hours  or so...it is now past 0845 and still running....there was one "hit" where the word TERM appeared but the condition went away and the link was restored.
Yesterday I replaced the K3 power supply and I left all the eqpt turned off overnight...i'e K3; K3 power supply and RR unit.  The temp in the garage is 5C.  I also discovered a setting in the router that was giving QoS priority to IPTV...we do not have that service so I removed that setting.

This would be a non-busy time for the overall network as well.

From time to time I see under DNS status : Failure to resolve remoterig,com

Again

many thanks for your ongoing help and encouragement.

Frank VO1HP

Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2016-02-07, 13:56:52 »
Good luck, Frank.

Moving the router is not what I meant; I meant moving the control RRC to a different location and router to see
if the problem persist. If it does, then focus on the radio RRC's router as the cause. If it improves, focus on the
control location's router.

It is highly unlikely that a (non-managed) switch would cause this kind of problem, since they are relatively passive
devices and just pass the packets on. I have seen a couple go bad, but it is rare.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2016-02-10, 18:11:18 »
 I took the Mini and RR box to a friends  FibreOp network location and total functionality was normal. The problem has been isolated to the CONTROL location.  The CONTROL  telco  modem  was  replaced by the telco but the connection and RTP stalling problems  persisted.  The telco technician  disconnected everything else  from the router and K3 Mini performance was normal.  IPTV set-top boxes were reconnected and still Mini OK. as well as IPTV PVR service OK

Another   device connected to one of the router LAN ports was the issue.  I had installed  sometime ago a TP LINK SG1008D Ver5.0 8 port gigabit switch.  When this switch and its connected devices was removed K3 Mini functionalty is normal.  When connected the RTP and UDP packets stall out and eventually result in remote disconnection.  I am not yet sure if its is the switch itself or something connected to it that is interfering with the data flow for the Mini....whatever is cauing the issue may have also been creating a problem for the IPTV service whole home PVR.

Further investigation of the switch and connected devices will give the answer.  It would not have occurred to me to suspect that the switch would interfere with the flow of data but that is actually the case.

Finally a resolution.....now to further check out each device / feed attached to the now disconnected switch.

Thanks to all for ongoing help in isolating the problem here

Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2016-02-11, 10:02:43 »
 :)
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.