Author Topic: DynDNS Update Stopped Working with 2.26  (Read 17022 times)

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: DynDNS Update Stopped Working with 2.26
« Reply #15 on: 2010-11-11, 14:22:42 »
To All

Its not a problem of Microbit or any other Hardware that updates Dyndns.
The problem is caused by Dyndns itself,

a few weeks ago (around the time 2.26 was released),
I had also problems with Dyndns myself, the hardware/firmware that updated my dyndns
has not been changed since the last 5 years and it never failed to do so,
now it is not working anymore and I even got mail from DYNDNS that it was blocked....
My Linksys router on another DYNDNS name is still ok but nomatter what I try with the other one
is not working anymore and there is nothing wrong with the hardware since I can use it with other lookalike
software. The only way to keep updating that specific dyndns is to use theire own free DynDns updater.

Guy ON4AOI

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2010-11-11, 14:29:52 »
Hi Guy,

I also am now sure that the problem was caused by DynDNS being
down at the time of my update. The problem appears to be error
recovery in the box, since it didn't update again once DynDNS
started working again

I have several addresses with DynDNS and the service works
just fine. Seems that they had a hiccup.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VK3OE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2010-11-16, 09:49:14 »
Hello,

I am using the Telstra 3G network to access my remote device. The access device is a 3G wireless router which is able to update my remote IP address to DynDNS if the remote wireless device is reset. (the remote IP address is public but not static).

If I ping my DynDNS host name the remote IP address is resolved. Pinging vk3oexxxx.xxxxx.net [132.209.3.131] with 32 bytes of data.

If I use this IP address [132.209.3.131] as the SIP contact in the radio settings on the control device then I can easily connect to the remote device.

If I use the DynDNS host name instead (vk3oexxxx.xxxxx.net ) for the SIP contact then the control device is not able to resolve the remote IP address from DynDNS and I get a SIP Error and 5 sets of increasing tones.

Software is 2.26. I have not tried to use the remote rig device to update DynDNS.

This seems to be at the root of the problem.

Andrew.

VK3ZFS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-11-16, 10:50:05 »
Also using FW2.26 with dyndns, I have had no problems  using Bigpond Wireless NextG as well using a embedded microcontroller web server, have had no problems resolving both via dyndns url. router has port forward to internal private IP for Remoterig Box and embedded server using port 8000 and 8090.
Regards
Frank

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2010-11-16, 11:15:33 »
Hello,

I am using the Telstra 3G network to access my remote device. The access device is a 3G wireless router which is able to update my remote IP address to DynDNS if the remote wireless device is reset. (the remote IP address is public but not static).

If I ping my DynDNS host name the remote IP address is resolved. Pinging vk3oexxxx.xxxxx.net [132.209.3.131] with 32 bytes of data.

If I use this IP address [132.209.3.131] as the SIP contact in the radio settings on the control device then I can easily connect to the remote device.

If I use the DynDNS host name instead (vk3oexxxx.xxxxx.net ) for the SIP contact then the control device is not able to resolve the remote IP address from DynDNS and I get a SIP Error and 5 sets of increasing tones.

Software is 2.26. I have not tried to use the remote rig device to update DynDNS.

This seems to be at the root of the problem.

Andrew.
Just to be 100% sure: You have entered a valid "Dns server" IP address in "IP Settings"?  ;)

/Jan
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2010-11-16, 13:25:46 »
Then I have a question: when DynDNS returns an error, does it continue to
try at the defined intervals, or does it give-up and stop at that point?
Just checked this and it continues reattempting updating at the defined intervals. We are considering extending the status information regarding both DynDNS and dns in order to make it easier to diagnose problems like this.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

VK3OE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2010-11-17, 00:23:24 »
Hello Jan and Frank,

Yes,,, I was experimenting with all the settings and accidently left the dns server address out!!!

Putting the dns server address in the control IP Settings and the whole system works extremely well. Without the dns address the system keeps trying to connect just as you indicated Jan, Thanks.

Many thanks. :) :)

Andrew.