Author Topic: For SteppIR users  (Read 7555 times)

ea3geo

• View Profile
    • Email
For SteppIR users
« on: 2010-11-08, 01:31:21 »
Hi OM's,

My setup includes a TS-2000, and SteppIR 3L and a RC-2000 remote head at the control side.

I've installed this weekend the RC-2000 remote head and I was previously using the RRC on with Kenwood mode 4 and that was ok with the "general" mode of use of the SteppIR antenna: I mean that mode where the SteppIR controller changes, ifself (all alone) the frequency when you change the frequency of the transceiver.

But now, with the use of the remote head, this no longer works. And I think it should. Or at least I'm sure there's the way!

So I have now the RRC's working on TS-2000 mode, with the remote head working ok but I haven't succeed on having the SteppIR controller automaticaly changing the frequency when I change the frequency on the remote head.

I have connected the COM port of the TS-2000, through the "Y cable" to the controller and the PC. Here's probably my mistake. Do I had to connect that to the RRC COM2 port instead to the PC? But how? How I do say to the controller that he's to read the RRC COM2 port?

By another hand, I'd love to have that "alternative PC control" (that was my intention). So, someway, having the controller reading the frequency from the radio COM port and, also, having an alternative control of the radio through a classic PC COM port (maybe by a VNC session).

So, in a brief, how you the people owning a TS-2000 with a remote head and the pair of RRC does the SteppIR control?

Any advise will be highly appreciated!!

Tks & 73 from Daniel, EA3GEO

ea3in

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: For SteppIR users
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-11, 07:47:51 »
Hi Daniel,

I use a remote desktop connection to control when needed the steppir via the N8LP software.

I prefer this on-demand prcedure, rather than making the steppir follw the radio all the time

Regards

vk5cp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-22, 12:32:16 »
Hi Daniel,

I am using a TS480 and am a SteppIR Vertical. I have a cable which goes from the rear of the TS480 directly to the SteppIR box, tracks the frequency perfectly.  Not sure what I will do when I get the SteppIR yagi and the SDR100 box going though!.

chris vk5cp

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-22, 16:07:43 »
Chris this should remain the same for you
since N8LP remote doesnt work with all steppIR firmware releases
if your lucky then you can use that soft for home-180 deg - Bi-Dir

Guy ON4AOI

ea3in

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-27, 19:59:21 »
I will appreciate a cabling diagram to show how to connect the steppir controller directly to the TS-480, keeping in mind that I have also the remote RRC connected to the TS-480 serial port to allow the remote PC client work.

Thanks in advance

on4iq

• View Profile
    • the ON4IQ pages
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2010-12-01, 17:16:24 »
i installed the moxa de-303 ethernet to serial and N8LP soft and managed to get it working, don't ask me how, but I did :-)

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-07, 11:39:44 »
This should be not so difficult
prepare RS232 DB9 female connector
pin 7 and 9 need to be connected to each other
next step
take a screened cable
solder screen (gnd) to pin5 and the wire to pin 2 (RX)
open the DB9 connector that is connected to the RRC and solder
the screen to pin5 and the wire to pin 3 (TX)
whenever there is a frequency change the steppIR will follow
to that band

Guy ON4AOI