Author Topic: Problem with AS-1289 Switch  (Read 4003 times)

AD8J

• View Profile
    • Email
Problem with AS-1289 Switch
« on: 2016-03-09, 18:27:50 »
I have developed a problem with my AS-1289 antenna switch when I run high power on 10 meters.  At about 600 watts the led lights start to flash in time with the CW or SSB peaks.  When I get up to about 1000 watts the relays start to chatter and this causes the amp to fault.  I also have the problem on 12 and 15 meters but not as bad.  The main antenna is a SteppIR DB-36 so the SWR is about 1.2 to 1 or less.  Swapping the antenna to a different port tends to help a bit but the problem is still there.  Changing to a different antenna sometimes helps and sometimes it doesn't.   I've tried a different power supply.  I've unhooked the temperature sensor.  I've unhooked the serial connector, which I don't use.  I've tried adding a ground to the switch.  I've tried a different Ethernet cable.  The only thing that solves the problem is to use a barrel connector and bypass the antenna switch.  Doing that results in no lights flashing.  So it appears that the problem is only when the RF is going through the switch.  Has anyone seen this before?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Problem with AS-1289 Switch
« Reply #1 on: 2016-03-09, 18:34:41 »
Hi

Yes that was a problem in the first hardware version, I have not heard about it for years now.

Here is info about how to solve it.

http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=2706

73 de mike

AD8J

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-03-10, 01:53:23 »
Mike:

Thanks for the fast reply.  I've ordered some caps and will report in when the mods are complete.

AD8J

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-03-29, 19:29:56 »
My supply of capacitors arrived from China.  100 for USD 1.25, including shipping.  I installed six in the antenna switch and the problem went away completely.  I can crank the Acom 2000A power up to legal max and the indicator lights don't flash and the relays don't chatter.  While I was in the unit, I did the grounding mod.  I never noticed a noise problem but it seemed like a reasonable thing to do.  If anyone adds the capacitors, make sure you have a magnifing glass or really good eyes since the solder points are pretty small.