Author Topic: Using RTTY with RR and a TS-480  (Read 4406 times)

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
Using RTTY with RR and a TS-480
« on: 2016-03-28, 20:57:10 »
Hello to the group.

I have been trying to get my RTTY FSK keying working with my remote rig and TS-480. I am able to receive but am having an issue trying to get it to transmit.
I am using the USB interface on the Control RRC. At the radio RRC I am using the Pad Jack (I have the IO setting to OUT1 mode = Baudot/45 on the Radio RRC).
I am able to key the TS-480 from within MMTTY but only get a carrier signal. I have followed the instruction on pages 96 - 101. I have the IO settings on the Radio RRC set to:

- OUTO Mode to I/O
- OUTO on/off -  OFF

- OUT1 Mode to BAUDOT/45
- OUT1 on/off - OFF

-OUT2 Mode to KEYER
-OUT2 on/off - OFF

In the MMTTY - TX TAB I have COM8 (my COM Extra port number) and in the MISC tab I have COM-TxD(FSK) selected. I also have the USB Port setting set to C:Limiting Speed

I am able to key the TS-480 but only get a steady carrier.

I assume that I do not require any additional connections to the Control RRC if I am using the USB interface to the computer.  As far as the Radio RRC is concerned, since I have selected Baudot/45 for OUT1 this should enable the radio to transmit FSK using the ring of the PAD jack of the Radio RRC.

Not quite sure why I do not hear the RTTY when I key the transceiver from within MMTTY.

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Serge
VA3SB

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Using RTTY with RR and a TS-480
« Reply #1 on: 2016-03-28, 20:59:38 »
Serge,

A common problem with the TS-480 is that you must use a mono plug for CW on the radio side, a stereo cable will cause the
type of problem you described.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-03-28, 21:24:32 »
Thank you for your prompt response Mitch.
I do have a stereo cable from the Radio RRC going to the KEY input of the TS-480.
So that I understand the issue clearly, I must replace one end of the stereo cable by a mono connector. I assume that the two connections would be ring and ground? This would also enable me to use CW with the same interconnected cable. Is my understanding correct?

As usual Mitch thank you very much for your helpful advice. I  greatly appreciate your help.

Serge
VA3SB

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-03-28, 21:33:02 »
Hi Serge,

If I recall, I just added a simple stereo to mono adapter on the rig side and it worked fine thereafter. You can just unplug
the CW cable to try RTTY in the meantime.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-03-28, 21:51:27 »
Thank you for your most helpful advice Mitch.

Serge
VA3SB