Author Topic: TS-480 and signalink connection to radio body  (Read 6108 times)

KE0BYQ

• View Profile
TS-480 and signalink connection to radio body
« on: 2016-04-05, 00:38:49 »
I've read all of the posts on this that I could find and am still unsure if this is possible.
I am using a Kenwood TS-480 on top of a mountain and no computer on site. I understand that I can use the mic port on the head side and run the signalink but is there any way that I can actually use the spare com port on the RRC and plug the Signalink into that so I don't have to change the mic out every time I want to use the Signalink.
I have made a cable with a 6 pin Din on one side and a DB 9 on the other (for the body) but every time I plug the cable into the Remote Rig box (after plugging it into the radio body) it puts the radio into transmit no matter how I have the Comm 1 port configured.
I have Ham Radio Deluxe running as well and so far am very happy with the way Remote Rig works.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris
KE0BYQ

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: TS-480 and signalink connection to radio body
« Reply #1 on: 2016-04-05, 05:53:54 »
Chris,

The Signalink works differently than other interfaces in that it uses VOX for PTT. You also can not
pull audio over the serial port (or any serial port, for that matter). If you mean the USB port, then
the answer is also no, the RRC does not provide audio that way.

The best way to do this is to plug the Signalink into the RJ45 MIC/AUX jack of the control RRC. If it
is too much of a hassle to unplug the microphone, you can build a Y-cable. You can pull the audio off
of the control RRC's SP jack and maintain a constant audio that way and still be able to hear over the
TS-480 head.

CAT control is pulled off of COM2. Let me know if you need my TS-480 CAT checklist for that.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KE0BYQ

• View Profile
Re: TS-480 and signalink connection to radio body
« Reply #2 on: 2016-04-05, 15:54:33 »
Thanks very much; that answered my question. And thanks for the suggestion on the Y cable that should solve that problem as well.
KE0BYQ