Author Topic: Serial Cable?  (Read 8830 times)

NZ5E

• View Profile
Serial Cable?
« on: 2010-11-19, 16:24:34 »
I have an Idiom Press RotorCard DXA board in my Yaesu G-2800 DXA rotator.  I connected to the rotor directly with my laptop and successfully controlled the rotor with the new rotator functionality in HRD.  Since the RS232 cable from the Idiom Press board terminated in a female connector, I connected it to COM2 on the Radio Unit and set the COM2 parameters to 4800 baud 8N1 with a terminating character of 0d (hexidecimal), since you have to press the Enter key to execute a command when using a terminal emulation program.

I am connected with a straight through serial cable from my laptop to the COM2 connector of the Control Unit.  I have set the same parameters for COM2 in the Control Unit, 4800 baud 8N1 with a terminating character of 0d.  I am using the User Defined Terminating Character setting for both Radio and Control Unit.

I am using Mode 5 for both units since I am using a Kenwood TS-480SAT, operating with the remote control head through COM0.  The manual seems to indicate that you can use either serial port for rotator control with my configuration?

So far, I have not been able to control the rotor over the internet.  Does either or both serial cable(s) need to be a modem cable or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: 2010-11-19, 16:27:55 by NZ5E »

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Serial Cable?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-19, 18:37:49 »
Hi,
Check my drawings I posted here a while ago
there is a difference between com1 and com2

Guy ON4AOI

oh1tv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-19, 20:53:11 »
I have also Idiopress card+ Yeasu G1000 DXC rotor. I control it with HRD. My com1 setting is mode 3 and it works fine.

Pekka, OH1TV

k3dx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-20, 18:04:06 »
I also have an Idiom Press controller, but with my HAM IV rotator. Because the serial cable supplied by Idiom Press has a female 9-pin connector, I connected to the RRC COM2 connector. I use COM2 MODE-3 4800 8-N-1, terminator 0d. It works fine, except that HRD  rarely returns the status (direction) of the rotator. The status seems to be reported only when I close HRD, then open it again.
I am controlling the TS-480 using the control head at the remote end, connected to the TTL port, program mode 5.

73, Dave - K3DX

SM0UXX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-30, 09:31:29 »
Hi all, sorry if I bring up an old thread, but I also have an issue with my com2 port. I was trying to use Easy Rotor Control on com2, but just as in the case with idiompress above, I could not get any readings of the heading. However it worked fine on com1 with a null modem.

So far I have only used com1, but now I need to use com2 too. And I want to understand the difference of the ports before I hook up anything to it. I simply want com2 to act the same way as the comport on the computer (of course I have to check baud rate etc for respective equipment, to do the settings correct).

I tried to look for Guy's drawings but could not find any that described the difference between com1 and com2?

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-31, 17:26:45 »
The difference between com1 and 2 is that one is DB9M and the other DB9F
so pin connection is in different order

Guy ON4AOI 

SM0UXX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-31, 20:44:02 »
Thanks for the info, Guy!
So in other words, really a DB9F should work at COM2 the same way as a m/m null modem adapter at COM1?

Vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-02, 15:38:51 »
Hello ,

i have also some difficulties with the serial port.
i have connected the ERC controller to the rotator clock and it works when i connect it to the usb2com  or into my old compuiter with a com port.

when i want to use the rrc device it does not respond.

i made a movie from what i have tested but still no results

short list what ive done.

use com 2 on the rrc , set the settings like described
also used option 3 and option 5

then i set use usb to com 2 and it did not respond
changed the bit rate from 9600 to 4800 and nothing

well i made a movie of it with the steps i have tested that explains it all i hope

does anyone maybe have a little trick or tip for me ?

http://www.dietrichconcept.nl/temp/

click the link for the movie

also tested with these recommanded settings:

http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=299.0

here some pictures also:

working , directly to the usb2com cabel

tested it on com port 1

tested on com 2 port

thanks

Vincent
« Last Edit: 2011-08-02, 15:56:44 by Vincent »

Vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-04, 22:51:41 »
i have made this cable and did some tests but still nothing happened.

http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=243.msg710#msg710

this did also not worked for me,
any other ideas anyone ?

SM0UXX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-05, 11:03:42 »
Vincent, did you try a null modem on com1? See http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/D9_Null_Modem_Wiring.png ...

For me it worked on com1 with a null modem, but never on com2, although it should really be the same as far as I can see?

Vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-05, 11:38:26 »
no i will try this right away

thanks allot for the help

Vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-05, 13:50:31 »
well i have soldered the cable but it still did not work.
what i tried again was using the com 2 on the RRC and clicked the option use usb com 2

also upgraded the firmware so i see 4 virtual com ports now
i try to connect to the ERC tool software and i got connection on com port 2
i could turn the antenna but it did not show were it was pointing to

i do however get the error , cant find ERC on com port 7 sometimes
then i have to restart the program few times reconnect and it works again.

tried pstlite rotator and it doesnt work, when i connect the cable straight to the controller it does.

tried to put the 0 modem cable between the controller and RRC but then it doesnt work also.

ill upload screenshots later, going to test some more stuff because i need it to work really bad haha