Author Topic: TS-480 control head beeps but won't power up radio  (Read 6968 times)

KE4RWS

• View Profile
    • Email
I've been working with my new RemoteRig RRC-1258 boxes but I must be doing something wrong. Every time I push the button on the TS-480 control head it beeps three times, three times in a row and fails to turn the remote transceiver on. I have both the Control and Radio boxes hooked up to the same network while I  configure and test the setup before relocating the TS-480 radio chassis to the remote site. I've gone through the manual again and again and AGAIN but find it somewhat lacking in that it doesn't seem to have a lot of clarity in explaining certain processes. I have logged on to and configured both RRC-1258 boxes and the settings seemed fairly straightforward. As it is now I'm stuck and cannot get it to work. There are no error messages of any kind (aside from the strange 3-beep issue when I try activating the control head). I believe I have both the Control and Radio boxes configured correctly but it just isn't happening. I was hoping maybe someone could give me some pointers  :-\

Randy
KE4RWS

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: TS-480 control head beeps but won't power up radio
« Reply #1 on: 2016-06-17, 08:02:07 »
Hi it's the EU congestion tone it means tat that the control-RRC cannot reach the Radio-RRC. Probably the "SIP contact" in the Control-RRC is set wrong. it's like the phonenumber to the radio-RRC. When testing on LAN, it should be the IP number of the Radio-RRC. Later when they are on separate LANs you change it to the ddns hostname. If you do not find the problem with the settings, you can PM me the "exported settings(html) files from both units.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-06-17, 11:30:02 »
Randy,

Drop me a short mail at dj0qn (at) darc.de and I will send you my networking checklist that walks
you through the process of getting this working.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KE4RWS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-06-17, 23:13:56 »
Turns out I did have the ddns hostname for the SIP Contact but upon reading your message I changed it to the local radio IP but I'm still getting the 3 beeps when I trying turning on the TS-480 control head so there must be something else affecting it. I have already PM'ed the exported settings(html) files from both units for your perusal and sincerely thank you for any assistance you can provide :)

Randy
KE4RWS

KE4RWS

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: TS-480 now working great
« Reply #4 on: 2016-06-18, 08:47:33 »
Major thanks to Mike, sm2o, for his assistance in getting my RemoteRig station up & running . After looking at my setup, Mike quickly determined what the problem was and it's now working on my home network as I test it a couple days before relocating the hardware to the remote site. I'm hoping that configuration will go smoothly and I'll be back on the air again after a very long hiatus of not being able to have an antenna where I live.

I also want to thank Mitch, dj0qn, for sharing your 'network checklist'. I'll definitely refer to it when I reconfigure the hardware for the remote site  ;D

Randy
KE4RWS

OH6XE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2017-07-30, 17:37:45 »
I have now samekind of problem. Setup works when I tested it at home. control (ip 192.168.0.127) on cablemodem router and radio (192.168.0.128) on mobile router.
Now I am in remote place and try to test my setup with mobile router(3G IP is 80.x.x.x)  but radio dont start on. Both,  radio and control RCCs are in same router
DDNS status is ok both RCCs. In radio RCC external ip is same as 3G ip
How do I test RCCs only connect them to ethernet switch

« Last Edit: 2017-07-31, 07:29:56 by OH6XE »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2017-07-30, 20:36:15 »
If you drop me a short mail at dj0qn (at) darc.de I can send you my networking checklist that should
help you out.

If within the same network, using the radio's internal IP number as the SIP contact will connect them
together. In your case, I assume that you made a mistake, since both have 192.168.0.127.

Also, note that using a 3G/4G router on the radio side will not work unless you get a true IPv4 external
IP address from your provider. By default, you are given an internal IP number that can't be routed. the
Nordic providers seem to be best if giving you a true IP number when you ask, so you may be in luck.

Anyway, I can send you my checklist if you want.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX