Author Topic: Internet sharing slowing me down?  (Read 5670 times)

NZ5E

• View Profile
Internet sharing slowing me down?
« on: 2010-11-23, 04:07:43 »
Okay...I have everything working, including remote rotator control.  Now, on to improving my internet connection on the control side of the link.  My receive audio cuts out every couple of seconds and I am told my transmit audio does the same.  I have tried different audio quality settings and played with the dithering parameters, but still have random interuptions in the transmit/receive audio.

My internet connection on the control end is via a USB cable from my Droid cellphone connected to my Window XP laptop running Internet Sharing to convert to an Ethernet cable for input to the Remoterig box.  The breaks in the transmit/receive audio are noticably worse anytime I do anything on the computer, even operations that don't have anything to do with the internet.  That makes me think that the USB to Ethernet conversion is being adversly effected by something like Windows Power Management or Norton Internet Security.

To take the computer out of the loop, I ordered a Netgear MBRN3000 3G Broadband Wireless Router, actually just to gain the Ethernet switch capability.  The MBRN3000 has a button to turn off the wireless router functionality.  I searched but could not find a simple Ethernet switch that used a USB internet source.

Has anyone tried this with a 3G source?  Any thoughts about what in the computer would be effecting the internet connection?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Internet sharing slowing me down?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-23, 09:13:09 »
Hi Terry,

Like I mentioned to you on the phone last week, the carriers do not like VoIP and tend to block it.
If you are using SIP port 5060, you should try something else, otherwise they may have some
other way to detect this on a different port, as they do here in Germany.

I gave-up trying to use 3G. Even with a solid and fast connection, I experienced the same issue
you do. I use a 3G router with an ethernet jack.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

NZ5E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-23, 14:04:47 »
...If you are using SIP port 5060, you should try something else...

I had to change the SIP Port to get the system to function, but I will try to change the port to something outside the normal range that may not be detected by Verizon.

...I use a 3G router with an ethernet jack...

Which 3G router are you using?

I am not going to give up just yet on my current 3G cellular source and Verizon has just started advertising the availability of 4G in my area.  My current 3G cellular service is really close to functioning properly.  I have high hopes that taking the computer out of the loop will just allow it to function.  I really want to be able to operate from my pickup.

If I can't get satisfactory results, I will setup a wireless link from the shop location to my home.  My home is about 3 statute miles from the shop location, but the top 30 feet or so of my tower is line-of-sight because the tower is located on a high ridge with the base about 110 feet higher than my home and the average terrain.  I can see my antennas from my home when the reflections from the sun are just right.  I tell my wife that the tower is a thing of beauty. ;)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-23, 14:20:40 »
I use the following:
http://www.option.com/en/products/products/mobile-broadband-routers/x1/

There are routers with batteries or SIM card slots, but I prefer to be flexible
and I need power where I am, anyway.

I am also building WLAN links. I highly recommend the following solution:
http://www.ubnt.com/bullet

I use the 5 GHz version directly screwed onto a 22 DB patch panel. The cost
is low and performance is excellent. This solution would bridge a 50 KM link
if line-of-sight.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

NZ5E

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-23, 19:07:34 »
...I gave-up trying to use 3G. Even with a solid and fast connection, I experienced the same issue you do...

I think you are correct (again :D)...

I just checked the speed of my 3G internet connection at speedtest.vonage.com on the cellphone itself, on my laptop tethered to the phone, and on my tablet PC being supplied internet via internet sharing from the laptop (the same way the Remoterig Control Unit would be connected).  The download speed was around 2300 kbps and the upload speed was around 600 kbps, on all three connections.

What is the minimum internet speed for the Remoterig system?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-23, 22:18:05 »
It depends upon which codec you choose to use, but those
speeds are well higher than the required speed. The issue is
definitely not with the speed of the network.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX