Author Topic: Better comms performance using RRC COM1 serial port vs. mini-USB?  (Read 3643 times)

K3TN

• View Profile
The N1MM+ logging software continually polls the radio for frequency/mode information and has a default threshold of 15 seconds - if after 15 seconds it hasn't gotten a response from the radio, it stops polling and requires the user to do a manual Radio Reset action.

At the W4AAW remote operation, we have a high incidence of this occurring. It seems worse for some users than others, but it happens to most. We are experimenting with lengthening the timeout parameter, but that does not address the cause - why is the local (operator-side) instance of N1MM+ not receiving polling responses from the remote K3?

Chris KL9A has recommended switching from using the min-USB and USB as COM1 approach to using the COM1 serial port on the RRC, which means using a USB to serial converter between the PC and the Control RRC for most. He said that improved things for his remote operation.

To the Microbit folks: is there some reason why *not* using the USB at COM1 approach should reduce data loss of N1MM+ polling? Most of this N1MM_ type communications is UDP-based at ports above 12040 - some reason why that would be less reliable using USB as COM1?

Thanks and 73, John K3TN

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Hi
USB is extremly complicated compared to a plain serial port so I will not be suprised if they do not behave exatcly the same, There are probably different drivers in the PC also involved depending on which hardware is in use.

Rgds Mike

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
Here are settings I use for N1MMPlus for my K3 remote using K3mini. 

Posting from Nov 09 2015
Got the K3/0 Mini and N1MM+ and remote K3 working now on Win 10 PC using RemoteRig gear:
My steps:

1.  In RRC (RemoteRig Control) Serial Settings set USB ---->COM1 = NO

2.  In RRC I/O Settins set USB DTR CW = COM1

3.  In N1MM+ Configuration:  Radio K3 - COM 7 for rig control -38400 8N1   DTR/RTS Always OFF

4.  In N1MM+ Configuration:  No Radio COM4 for CW Keying and PTT   DTR=CW   RTS=PTT

5.  In K3 Menu CONFIG  PTT-KEY = OFF_OFF      (*also works if set to OFF-DTR)

6. Cables:  USB Cable from RRC Mini USB Jack to PC;  and Elecraft USB/Serial cable from RRC COM1 to PC

N1MM+ reads freq and mode and ESM feature works .

Frank VO1HP
Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

K3TN

• View Profile
Thanks, Mike - I tend to favor always avoiding serial to USB converters, but one of our operators (N6NC) is going to give it a try, will report on results.

Frank - in your configuration, with USB _> COM1 NO, what actually is the USB connection from the PC to the front panel RRC Mini-USB actually doing? (Outside of that, your configuration is very similar to what KL9A is using.

73 John K3TN