Author Topic: Can't control radio with TRX  (Read 6142 times)

VE6WZ

• View Profile
    • Email
Can't control radio with TRX
« on: 2016-09-18, 00:57:02 »
Any help out there?

K-3s twin setup at rural remote location 100km from home.
Remote works perfect with rrc-1258 units and K3s mini.
Also have full remote access via Teamviewer to remote shack.

Just order and rc'd Micro-1274B dongle direct from Microbit
Have loaded the RRC-micro 1.10 beta client
Have configured the client and I can connect to remote with good rx audio from radio via the computer speakers.
Use Com2 virtual port
Using TRX manager have selected K3s radio and com 2 port, but can not get radio control...will not update.
Have also tried HRD and no communication on com 2.
I'm sure this is operator error....any ideas.

Using W10 machine.

de steve ve6wz

K1IKE-Joe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can't control radio with TRX
« Reply #1 on: 2016-09-18, 02:46:56 »
Isn't the new software
2016 feb 23: PC-Client 1.9.2
RRCMicro-1.9.2.zip (Win7,  Win8,  Win8.1, Win10)

Joe

VE6WZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-09-18, 05:25:46 »
Joe...
I started with RCC-Micro- 1.9.2 but had the same issue.
The RCC-Micro 1.10 is the newer Beta version for using the CW paddle with the dongle which is what I want/ need.
Either way same problem with both client software packages.

steve

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-09-18, 15:50:57 »
Steve,

COM2 is the Microbit port, but Windows most likely assigned a different virtual port. Go to the Windows
Device Manager and look at the serial ports. You will see COM2 in parentheses and the virtual Windows
port before it in that line. That is the port number you need to use for the RRC Micro client.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE6WZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-09-19, 02:40:07 »
Mitch..
I attach a jpeg of the device manager screen.
the (COM2) (Com7) and (COM8) in parenthesis are all preceded only by the words "Microbit Virtual port"...no port number given.
I have tried ports 7, 8 and 2 in TRX manager and get error message "initalization error-COM PORT (Elekraft K3)"
3 other lines show lines shows RCC1258 COM0 (COM3), RCC1258 COM1 (COM6) and RCC1258 COM2 (COM4)

In the Client I have it set for RCC COM0: Mode 4-Kenwood,Yaesu, Elecraft
And PC COMPort: 2

Still no control in TRX manager//

Steve

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-09-19, 02:56:37 »
Steve,

Something is not installed correctly. I am not sure what your problem is, but I suggest that you run
the Microbit serial port tool and reinstall, then reinstall it again. It looks like you still have your USB cable
plugged into the RRC, which of course it shouldn't be if you are running the RRC Micro. Only one should
be plugged-in at a time, just to make sure nothing gets "confused". Here is the link:
http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=3200

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE6WZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2016-09-21, 03:48:54 »
Thanks Mitch for that info.
You were correct that I had the RCC usb cable also plugged in.
I removed the cable and then ran the serial port tool to remove all and re-installed.
Now the RCC virtual ports are gone, and now just 3 Microbit Virtual Ports show (com2) (com7) and (com8) but no other info regarding other assignments.(see the attached jpg screen shot of device manager.)
I start the mico client, connect to SIP and get rx good audio from the remote radio.
I then start TRX manager and have tried all ports com2, com7 and com8 but no radio control.
I do notice that only when using COM2 in TRX manager that the COM0 light in the client flashes green...sometimes steady, but TRX does not update the K3 interface at all.

I tried all of the above as a "fresh install" of the Micro client, TRX manager and the dongle on another machine (W7) and got the exact same result. No control with TRX manager.
I fear I am doing something very wrong (and probably embarrassing) here since I doubt it should be this difficult.

Steve

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2016-09-21, 06:37:17 »
Steve,

It still looks strange to me. I am not sure how much more I can tell you without actually taking
over your computer to see myself. I will instead defer at this time to the crew at Microbit to see
if they can help you out, since they know the nuts and bolts of their software.

If for some reason they don't get any further, I can take a look myself at that point in time.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE6WZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2016-09-22, 17:16:05 »
Problem has been resolve after talking with Mike.
I was wrongly "assuming" that because the K3 twin set-up communicates COM0 to COM0 that I needed to set the COM0  port in the Mico Client to com2. That is not correct...we use the COM2 port shown on the Micro Client and set that for my selected PC Microbit Virtual port.
All is working well now.

Steve