Author Topic: comment request on control/radio box settings  (Read 11531 times)

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
comment request on control/radio box settings
« on: 2016-10-17, 23:02:04 »
If screenshots of my control and radio status settings are viewable I'd appreciate any comments that may lead to making corrections that would enable a connection.  Some port info looks weird to me.  My boxes worked fine for almost 2 years and suddenly no connection.  Recently switched from a K3 to TS-480 but it worked fine after that until now.  Basic connection from TS-480 head to RRC Control COM2.  Control box on wifi with solid green led.  RRC Nano still connects to RRC Radio box back home just fine.  All I have done is change location (and ISP) of Control box.  73 de Art, K4FWJ

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: comment request on control/radio box settings
« Reply #1 on: 2016-10-18, 05:21:29 »
It looks like the control RRC is not finding the radio side. I assume you are using the DDNS address
in the SIP contact field, but there may be a problem with that. To clarify, try the following trick: put the
radio's real IP number into the SIP contact field (47.204.226.139 on your status) and see if that works.
If so, then we have found the problem, then need to find the cause.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-10-18, 05:55:13 »
Thanks for the suggestion, Mitch.  I just now replaced the DDNS url with the actual IP of 47.204.226.139 but still no connection between boxes.  My home QTH was struck by lightning on 21 Sept. and much of my equipment was damaged.  However, the RRC Radio box did work afterwards (until now maybe).  I'm wondering if it's possible that the Radio box could now fail in such a way that it could somehow connect with RRC Nano but not the 1258 Control box.  At the time of the lightning strike the Control box was not hooked up and wasn't present at that QTH anyway.  Art

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-10-18, 06:47:59 »
Hi Art,

That is highly unlikely, so we will still need to use the process of elimination to find the problem, which
currently looks like it is at the control side.

I suggest that I test it from here. If you send the settings (HTML ok) to me at dj0qn (at) darc.de, I can
try it out from here to see if the radio RRC works with my RRC. Note that I have visitors from Germany
and am busy most of the time, but I can sneak it in sometime on Tuesday.

Does that sound like a plan?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-10-18, 07:11:00 »
Just made an amazing discovery.  I never had cause to select Auto Connect.  Decided I might as well try it:  Promptly the white led on the aux/mic socket lit up continuously and there was a confirmation beep from the TS-480 head.  The status indications show data transfer.  However, when I press the "On" button on the TS-480 nothing happens whatsoever.  I do hear faint, regular, clicks from its speaker.  I checked continuity of the wires in the cable between the TS-480 head and the RRC a couple days ago.  What could cause the TS-480 not to come completely alive now!?  Art

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-10-18, 07:58:32 »
Auto connect should not be activated for TS-480. Im sure Mitch will help you to solve the problem

/mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2016-10-18, 14:04:46 »
In agree with Mike. Let's take this direct today and I will try it out from here.

Weird things happen here in Florida. My house's speaker system amplifier woke us up the
middle of the night with a loud buzzing noise. Must have been a power surge or something.
No wonder RRC's get screwed-up here. I will hold off building a station here  ;)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2016-10-18, 17:17:42 »
Hello Mike - well I don't know what to think of the observations.  You and Mitch are the experts - not me.  Almost from the get-go my system has worked great for 2 years.  Only now with an ongoing problem am I learning a little more about RRC function.  Seems to me that the boxes connecting in Auto Connect mode only proves the router and its connection to the Internet are OK.  It does not necessarily prove the Control box is capable of communicating with the TS-480.  It also does not prove the new TS-480 continues to function properly.  Having observed that the TS-480 does not join the now-established connection I have been trying to get either DXLab or HRD to join.  I am using a good quality FTDI USB to serial adapter for that.  But so far it's a no-go on a PC connection as well.  In case the new Status info (with boxes connected) means anything, I will attach a screenshot of it.  Thank you.  Art

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2016-10-18, 20:48:34 »
Art,

If you want me to try it out, I will be around for about the next two hours.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2016-10-22, 20:35:52 »
Mitch, sorry we are unable to use Teamviewer until after your visitors leave - fully understandable.

For anyone following this thread - an update.  With no connection to my TS-480 back home and my vacation half over I was willing to try anything.  My TS-480 radio is accessible using RRC Nano using a wifi-only connection thru the same local router/ISP.  And by Mitch from his entirely different QTH.  Coupled with the fact that I also can't connect using (only) HRD or DXLab, my RRC Control box itself came under at least some suspicion.  Therefore I ordered another Control box - same results with new box.  That's basically where I at now.

You might think this failure to connect is related to the ISP and/or router I am using.  Why else would Mitch be able to connect to my radio back home?  But my RRC Nano working through this same local connection/router does connect and I can tune and change bands, etc.  Also, if I select Auto Connect on my Control box then my two RRC boxes show connected and transferring.  So how can the problem be ISP/router related?

I know these Remoterig systems can work.  Mine did for two years.  But I will never again go on vacation expecting to rely exclusively on a RRC-1258 for my Ham Radio fix.  Art

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2016-10-22, 21:21:25 »
Hi
What happen when you press PWR ON ? does it even try to connect ?, Maybe the cable from the Control-panel to the RRC is defective ?. Is the red straps in correct position ?, They are only needed for the Mic but if they are in wrong position they can make a short circuit for the data lines. Is the baudrate set to 57600 ? and programmode =5 ? correct SIP-password  no spaces in the end ?

73 de mike

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2016-10-22, 22:04:40 »
Mike, thanks for your ideas.  The last time the PWR ON button worked was at a QTH I stopped at on the way to our ultimate destination.  I turned off the equipment, put it in my trunk, came the rest of the way, and the PWR ON button has never tried again.  In case the head to rrc cord has failed I ohmed it out.   Found continuity between 5 of the 6 pins.  Thought this was significant but looking at the clear plugs in a bright light showed both only had 5 wires in use.  On the TS-480 schematic the non-connected pin is simply a second ground.  There is a "U" wired on the back of the jack which apparently negates the need of a 2nd ground.  Have ordered a new 6P6C cord anyway.  The straps ought to be OK because the system worked fine until I disconnected it and brought it here to my ultimate destination.  The COM0 baud is 57600, yes I'm using program mode 5, SIP PW is correct with no spaces, the boxes will Auto Connect.  73, Art

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2016-10-22, 22:19:56 »
When you press the PWR on button the control panel sends a data message which the Control-RRC recognize and initiate the SIP session. If two boxes do not react on the PWR ON message, it must be something wrong with  either the panel or the cable. If the boxes connnect when you set them in "auto connect" it shows that the routers etc are working.

/mike

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2016-10-22, 22:33:10 »
Mike, roger your last.  I hate think that the new TS-480 I bought especially for this vacation trip failed upon arrival.  It was bad enough that a lightning strike took out my K3/P3 and lots of other stuff right before we left home.  The new 6P6C cord should arrive in a couple days.  But even if the TS-480 control head or cord has failed shouldn't HRD or Commander initiate the sip session? I am using a FTDI serial to usb adapter that has always worked fine in the past.  Neither HRD or DXLab will read frequency.  Art

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2016-10-22, 22:47:46 »
When using HRD you inititate the SIP session by pressing the "connect" button on the status page

/mike