Author Topic: Huawei B315S-22 not usable?  (Read 14251 times)

W2SM

• View Profile
    • Email
Huawei B315S-22 not usable?
« on: 2016-11-02, 21:06:00 »
I have a Huawei B315s-22 modem/router.  It is a wireless modem and works extremely well.  I have to use this to connect to the internet as I have no hard wired internet access at my remote shack location.

I've set up my K3 etc with the RRC's on my LAN at the control site and all works well.  However, when I try to configure the router for the remote location, there doesn't appear to be any settings that allow for port forwarding, or any of the other setting I would need to change.  Has anyone had experience with this router, and if so, how did you go about making the changes? 

I talked to the local provider (Digicel) tech rep and he said he wasn't aware of any way to do port forwarding.  However, his focus is clearly on voice communications, so I 'm not sure of his knowledge level.  On an island you sometimes don't get the best!

If the router can't be changed, is there any work-around or am I just SOL?

Jim
ZF2LC
W2SM

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Huawei B315S-22 not usable?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-11-03, 02:28:23 »
Jim,

You usually can not use a 3G/4G consumer provider to host a RemoteRig installation. This is because in most
countries, they will not give you a true external IP number, but use an internal one like within a home network.
Since you can't access their network's router, you can't use them. Therefore, the issue of port forwards in that
router is a moot point and probably the reason it isn't in the router you bought to begin with.

The only solution is to either pay extra for a business service that gives you a true external IP number, or else
setup a VPN. Or maybe you are lucky and one of the rare countries where they do give you an external IP
address (ask them).

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

oz1rh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-11-03, 09:56:08 »
I considered buying a cheap Huawei B315, but since Google is my friend I found a review telling that its software does not have port forwarding. Apparently the B315 is a discount model which is difficult to use with RemoteRig. Go for the older model Huawei B593, it works.

Mobile broadband is often advertised as an alternative to an ADSL broadband line. If you bought your mobile broadband as an alternative to an ADSL broadband line require your supplier to deliver a usable router AND a public IP address open for incoming traffic. As Mitch wrote the latter might be a bigger problem than buying another 4G-router. Most likely your ISP customer service does not know what a public IP address is and they will try to sell you a static IP address.

73, Palle, OZ1RH.

W2SM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-11-03, 11:31:51 »
Mitch/Pallie

I doubt if getting a different router is an option since this is the only one they provide and it is set up with their sim card.

I have done some searching on the net and found that indeed the router can do port forwarding..... Huawei calls it virtual network.

However, to Mitch's point about the external IP number, I can ask their "technical expert", but since he didn't know that that the unit could do port forwarding, I'm skeptical of any answer I might get.  Is there some actual test I can run that will tell me the answer?

I'll also check around with some of my contacts here to see if any of the folks in the IT/telecommunications field know about the IP number.

If nothing pans out, I guess I'll have to look into the cost of getting wired internet service to the shack.

Jim

oz1rh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-11-03, 13:29:15 »
I doubt if getting a different router is an option since this is the only one they provide and it is set up with their sim card.
Buy another 4G/LTE router and move the SIM card from the 315 to your new router. If any config is needed take it from the B315 or ask your ISP.

I have done some searching on the net and found that indeed the router can do port forwarding..... Huawei calls it virtual network.
'Virtual network' is probably the same as 'Virtual server' or DMZ. That should mean your B315 can forward all traffic to one LAN IP address and if you set it to the IP address of your RemoteRig box you are in business.

> Is there some actual test I can run that will tell me the answer?
Log on to the status page on your 4G/LTE router and check the IP adr on the WAN side. This IP adr must be a public IP adr, not something like 10.x.x.x, not 192.168.x.x and not 172.x.x.x. Also some IP adr 100.x.x.x are not routeable on the internet and can't be used.

Note that the IP adr in question is not the one shown at various sites like http://myip.dk/ but the WAN one on your 4G/LTE router. Also note that your router has two IP adresses, the LAN one you access from your pc (likely to be 192.168.1.254 on a B315) and the WAN adr you are looking for.

73, Palle, OZ1RH.

W2SM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-11-03, 17:51:10 »
Palle,

Thanks.  The WAN IP address is 10.100.148.20.  I think this confirms that there is no external IP address so this router can't be used with Remote Rig. 

Am I correct on that?

Jim

oz1rh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-11-08, 23:29:11 »
Yes 10.100.148.20 is on the WAN side of your Internet router is a private IP address which can not be accessed form the Internet. The site where your radio is needs a public IP address, but it can be either a static og dynamic IP address. I wrote something on this a few years ago on this forum. Quite a few people has problems with private IP addresses and this should be explained better in the manual.

73, Palle, OZ1RH.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2016-11-09, 08:24:03 »
Hi

I agree this shows up more frequently the last year in mobile systems since every phone need a IP connection and there is not enough IPv4 addresses. Luckily this problem is  it's still rare on wired connections. I have written  several times on the forum how to check it, but probably it's time to put it in the manual also.

73 de mike