Author Topic: New User cant get them to link  (Read 10527 times)

W7RY

• View Profile
New User cant get them to link
« on: 2016-11-06, 01:10:31 »
Just joinded the list and bought a used set of RRC-1258.

They came interfaced to an Icom IC706. That all works fine. Had the RRCs back to back on a switch and they work fine that way.

BUT... I cant seem to get them to talk over the internet. I'm using 2 cellular connections, one for each end.

The radio end is on an ATT data only device. I am able to put port forwards on that end.

BUT the control side is on my Samsumg S6 which is on Verizon and I use Fox-Fi for the wireless access point. I have loaded a couple of port forwarding APPs into the Verizon S6 but that doesn't seem to help.
I'm out in the sticks and have to other internet other than cellular data connections.

What does work...
The DNS is registering, and the control side shows the right IP address for the radio side. But still no connect.

I do get a SIP error on the control end. But not sure how to get it to work.

Not sure what to try next.

Any hints or "how you did it" would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Jim W7RY

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: New User cant get them to link
« Reply #1 on: 2016-11-06, 03:47:34 »
Jim,

If you are hosting the radio side on a 3G or 4G network, it can't work.This is because AT&T does
not give you a true external IP number. There are several threads on this forum about this problem.

The only way around it is to pay for a business service with a true external IP address, or to setup
a VPN.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W7RY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-11-08, 02:29:51 »
What about the control end? Do I need to do anything with my Verizon phone to get it to work if I fix the radio end?

Jim W7RY

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-11-08, 02:31:19 »
No, nothing special at all. You may have to optimize some parameters for better performance,
but that would only be if you are unsatisfied.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W7RY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-11-08, 03:01:01 »
Settings such as?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-11-08, 03:03:04 »
3G/4G Checklist
------------------
Try reducing your bandwidth to a minimum and changing some parameters to compensate
for a poor line. Note that this is only for using 3G/4G on the control side. Running a RemoteRig
system over 3G/4G with the router on the radio side will never work, unless you pay extra for a
true external IPv4 address.
Here are some tips:

1) These are important:
- audio quality to 0 (half the bandwidth of codec 2 and more than adequate for SSB & CW)
- turn continuous RTP on or set RTP to continuous (depending upon firmware version)
- If using the K3 Twin or Yaesu with a second receiver, then turn off "audio dual-rx" on the
   radio RRC under the radio settings. This doubles the necessary bandwidth if on.

2) Play around with these 3 until you are satisfied:
- increase rx jitter buffer to min 12+
- increase rx jitter delay to min 10+
- audio packet size 20 or 40

3) Also, make sure that serial ports COM1 and COM2 are turned off if not used,
or that either being used is set to the minimum bps necessary to handle the serial
communication. For example, use 4800 for CAT on a rig like the TS-480 and not
a high speed like 57600, since the higher speed is completely unnecessary.

W7RY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-11-17, 17:03:05 »
Changed the radio end device (AT&T broadband wireless device) to a business account. Still not working.

I do seem to have an IP address but not sure if it's not visible. When I do a NSlookup on my DNS account name, I do get a response with the same IP address that the wireless seems to be... I also tried to put the external IP directly into the remote end and still no go.

When I put the radio end and the remote end on the same local network, and put the destination IP directly into the control end, I can connect immediately.

I have also put the IP address of the radio end into the DMZ of the wireless access point that is on the radio end.

AT&T wants $500.00 to set up a static IP address.

Thanks
Jim W7RY

W7RY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-11-17, 17:13:14 »
So I started a ping from my Verizon phone that I plan on using with the control end to the supposed public IP address that my AT&T hotspot has.  When I ping the "public" IP address, I can ping it, BUT the ping continues evern after I shut the AT&T hot spot down.

So having a business account does not mean that I get a public IP address?

Jim W7RY

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2016-11-17, 18:39:37 »
Jim, do the following:

1) Go to your router's WAN page and look at what IP address it is reporting

2) Use a PC on your network and go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ to see if the addresses match.

If they do, then you are OK and need to make sure the ports are correctly forwarded.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2016-11-17, 19:43:54 »
As Carrier-grade NAT has  been more and more common I have added info in the manual and in the FAQ about it

http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=3494

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2016-11-17, 19:46:41 »
Great! Thanks, Mike.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W7RY

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-11-18, 01:40:14 »
No router involved here. The access point has a wi-fi built into it. Two devices. AT&T MF923 access point, and the RRC-1258 MKII connecting via wireless.

No way to find the the address via the web browser into the MF923 4G Wi-FI device.

Jim W7RY

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2016-11-18, 02:09:16 »
I just downloaded the MF923 manual. It is a indeed a router that utilizes a 3G/4G network.

What are you trying to do exactly? Is this for the control RRC? Where will the radio RRC be used, i.e. what
type of network? A radio RRC will not work on a 3G/4G network, BTW.

In order to get the RRC's to talk to each other, you must first set them up on the same network, or at least
connect them using an ethernet cable if they are set to factory default. Alternatively, use Microbit Setup
Manager and the USB cable to set the boxes to DHCP to be able to use a router like the  MF923.

I don't know if you already have my networking checklist that walks you through the installation process. If
you want it, drop me a short mail to dj0qn (at) darc.de and I will send it to you.

Mitch DJ0QN / k7DX

W7RY

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2016-11-18, 02:17:08 »
See below for what I'm trying to do.

Just joinded the list and bought a used set of RRC-1258.

They came interfaced to an Icom IC706. That all works fine. Had the RRCs back to back on a switch and they work fine that way.

BUT... I cant seem to get them to talk over the internet. I'm using 2 cellular connections, one for each end.

The radio end is on an ATT data only device. I am able to put port forwards on that end.

BUT the control side is on my Samsumg S6 which is on Verizon and I use Fox-Fi for the wireless access point. I have loaded a couple of port forwarding APPs into the Verizon S6 but that doesn't seem to help.
I'm out in the sticks and have to other internet other than cellular data connections.

What does work...
The DNS is registering, and the control side shows the right IP address for the radio side. But still no connect.

I do get a SIP error on the control end. But not sure how to get it to work.

Not sure what to try next.

Any hints or "how you did it" would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Jim W7RY

W7RY

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2016-11-18, 02:19:10 »
See your post below.

I changed the radio end 4G device to a business account and still doesn't work. No public IP address is assigned.

Jim,

If you are hosting the radio side on a 3G or 4G network, it can't work.This is because AT&T does
not give you a true external IP number. There are several threads on this forum about this problem.

The only way around it is to pay for a business service with a true external IP address, or to setup
a VPN.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX