Author Topic: TS-480 Control Head Will Not Powerup  (Read 5019 times)

W7WJ

• View Profile
    • Email
TS-480 Control Head Will Not Powerup
« on: 2016-11-08, 18:51:42 »
I have been using my TS-480 for awhile and has been working well.  I travel with it to the remote location but even then still use it on the network.  Recently I tried turning it on and the head will not power up.  I hear a faint busy signal as if there is not a network connection.  The power light is steady on the remote box and I can see the remote unit on the network and all settings are correct.  I have checked the cables and the internal jumpers.  When the head is connected directly to the radio it functions normally. The control box and remote box software is 2.87.  Any help would be appreciated.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: TS-480 Control Head Will Not Powerup
« Reply #1 on: 2016-11-08, 18:54:14 »
Are you using the DynamicDNS address in the SIP contact field, or a fixed IP number? If fixed,
check to see if it changed. You may try rebooting the radio RRC to be on the safe side.

Basically, a working setup will not stop working unless something in the environment changes.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7Dx

W7WJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-11-08, 19:03:26 »
I'm using DynamicDNS, but I'm pretty sure it's not a network issue.  The panel display doesn't light.  Even without a network connection, it would previously light and then get a loud busy signal showing no connection.  Now the head appears not to be getting any power and there is a very faint busy signal. Also the power light on the remote box is steady indicating a connection.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-11-08, 19:12:06 »
Check your power supply on the control side as well if the panel is not acting normal.

Did you reboot the radio RRC and try it again?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W7WJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-11-08, 19:19:37 »
Yes, I have both boxes in front of me and both have been rebooted.  Settings have not changed on either box. I did a software upgrade to 2.91 on the remote with no change.  The radio side is still at 2.87.  The amber light on the aux/mic connection on the control head box is flashing in that means anything.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-11-08, 19:31:49 »
Two things:

1) I highly suggest updating both sides to the most current firmware to be on the safe side.

2) If you moved the control RRC to the same network as the radio RRC, then you should change the
SIP contact to the radio RRC's internal IP number. Some routers will block the external number looping
back.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W7WJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2016-11-08, 19:43:52 »
I will upgrade the other box just to exclude any issues.  This setup has worked fine for over a year(s) both when the control head was at a remote location and when it was at the radio location.  The router and network situation has not changed.  The control head just quit powering up, while at the remote location.  Didn't respond like normal when it was a network issue (i.e. would light up but not connect and give a loud busy signal).

I am concerned it be a hardware issue (power surge?).  Do you know if the flashing amber on the aux/mic socket on the remote RRC indicates?

W7WJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2016-11-08, 19:47:28 »
This error message was on the radio RRC:  Data Abort at 0x0000e7e0, called by 0x00009d34

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2016-11-08, 20:08:41 »
Not sure about those, doesn't sound good. The only hardware problems I have experienced with RRC's
is due to power surges. Maybe Mike is reading and can answer.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W7WJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2016-11-08, 20:58:35 »
SOLVED...Sort of.  In the manual I saw the flashing amber on the aux/mic connector is a SIP failure.  I upgraded the firmware in the router and now I'm getting a connection.  We have a lot of lightening here and all I can figure is possibly it messed up the router. 

A new issue now that I have not seen before is that the display dims significantly with a strong signal. Can copy CW off the display.   ???  Supply voltage is right at 13.5v  Oh well, at least I'm bad on the air.