Author Topic: Scanning won't stop or fast beep sound  (Read 4427 times)

troynm

• View Profile
Scanning won't stop or fast beep sound
« on: 2016-12-18, 04:43:35 »
My Remote Rig quit working a month or so ago. No connection. My rig is a Kenwood TS-480HX. Finally made it down to the remote site today and found the network cable from the modem to the Remote Rig unplugged. Plugged it in, checked everything out, and I could connect to the remote via my laptop. Didn't think to take the control head with me to test for local operation. Came back home and powered on the radio. Everything seems to work but I was getting a fast beep from the speaker. Discovered I could have the audio fully down and still got the beep. The radio functions fine and all knobs and dials seem to work but will not transmit. Tried turning off the rig, waited a few seconds, powered it back up, beep was gone but the radio was scanning frequencies and I could not make it stop, again all the knobs and dials seem to work fine. Stations would come in and go out and the radio tuned up the dial. No transmit either.

When I power up I get one of two modes. Radio seems to work fine except for no transmit with the fast beep in the background or power up, no beep and the radio works except it begins to scan frequencies. Discovered when in either mode it will not go into transmit however I can press the PF (function key) and the radio will go into antenna tune mode it will transmit and the MFJ auto-tuner at the remote shack tunes up fine.

I figure I need to go back to the remote site next weekend and troubleshoot and take the control head with me to see how it works locally, but I was hoping there might be some things to try from my control point.

Thanks,
Tom
W5GV

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Scanning won't stop or fast beep sound
« Reply #1 on: 2016-12-18, 07:33:28 »
Tom,

Looks like a strange problem. How did the ethernet cable get unplugged? Your problem sounds like a
cabling problem, but you need to check a couple of other things first.

Did you try restarting the RRC? Did it make a difference? Please look at the status page on both RRC's and
let us know if you have any error messages. Also try unplugging the microphone first.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

troynm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-18, 20:45:14 »
The remote location is upstairs in a commercial building so anyone could have unplugged it. They have no computers there and I let them use my Wi-Fi with their phones since they are letting me setup there for free. I imagine someone may have borrowed the connection to plug in a laptop or similar device and never plugged the cable back into the Remote Rig. I restarted everything when I was on site just to ensure everything had been power cycled recently. Today I restarted the remote and control RRC with no results. I unplugged the microphone and even used another microphone with no results. It may be another loose cable that I missed when I was down there. I checked all of the connections while I was on site.

I thought continuous beep may be some notification from the radio itself but looking through the manual there is no corresponding continuous error beep.

Looking through both RRC settings I do not find any errors.

Thanks,
Tom

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-12-18, 20:51:46 »
Tom,

I am pretty sure it is a wiring problem. I guess someone "borrowed" the wrong cable and didn't plug
it in correctly.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

troynm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-12-18, 20:54:58 »
You are probably right. I'll make another trip down there next Saturday and take the radio control head, laptop, etc. and troubleshoot some more. As an experiment I connected using RRC Nano on my Android laptop and I get the same results.

troynm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-12-27, 03:22:40 »
Got it figured out. Someone not only disconnected the network cable to the RRC which I found last time I was there, but the cable going to the mic jack on the radio was going to the IO port on the back of the RRC. After fooling around with it a while I pulled out the RRC manual and looked up and traced the connections. Unplugged it from the IO jack on the RRC and plugged it into the mic jack on the RRC and I'm back in business. Should have looked a little further after finding the network cable unplugged.

I can't complain to much since they let me use the site for free! First time in 2 years someone messed with it.