Author Topic: Yaesu FT8900 screen flickering  (Read 4029 times)

christopherve7alb

• View Profile
Yaesu FT8900 screen flickering
« on: 2017-01-15, 17:11:58 »
Hello,

I've recently deployed an FT8900 to a remote mountaintop location and have been using the remoterig RRC-1258.  For the most part things have been working reasonably well, except for an issue where the remote display keeps flickering.  Audio seems to be (mostly) unaffected (occasional dropouts on transmit and receive but not nearly as many drops as the screen flickering).

Network connectivity between my house and the site is quite good; I can pull 5mbps TCP throughput (up and down) between the two sites and latency is under 40ms.  I've tried playing with some of the 'advanced' settings but have not managed to make the system any more stable.  Both remoterig units are running the latest firmware (2.91).

Is this an issue anyone else has encountered, and if so is there any solution?

Thanks in advance!

WA6ZTY

• View Profile
Re: Yaesu FT8900 screen flickering
« Reply #1 on: 2017-02-05, 04:37:27 »
Just a thought, perhaps your 12v supply cannot supply enough current for the RRC and the 8900 front panel.

ea5mon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2017-02-09, 19:38:44 »
I have a similar problem ft-8800, turn off the screen, and rare signs come out, and come back again, so from time to time, it is not power supply.

In some cases, it does so because the data flow is not continuous, or stable.

christopherve7alb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-04-23, 18:38:20 »
Thanks for the input guys, doubtful it's a power supply issue as I'm using a 40A power supply for the RemoteRig client and FT8900 faceplate.

I'm inclined to agree, that it's something to do with an "inconsistent" data flow, what I don't get is that ping times between the two sites are quite stable, with only around a 10ms deviation.  Are there any hard recommendations as to how much latency is "too much"?  Wonder if 30ms is too high for the system to deal with?

I haven't had a chance to test with the two ends on the same LAN but may try in future to see if the problem still exists.  I'm also trying to build out a 5GHz microwave link between the two sites which would hopefully work better then using Internet connectivity.