Author Topic: How do you use the PC-Client with a computer that does not have a mic input?  (Read 4898 times)

W0HJW

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi All,

I am trying to help a friend who just bought a new PC-Client.  I own a 1274A and it works great.  I use a headset/boom mic and plug each into the PC-Client dongle.  His new one apparently connects via USB and expects you to plug in the headset/boom mic directly into the laptop.  The laptop he's using does not have a mic input (it does have a built-in panel mic and audio out).  I'm using the exact same laptop but I have the older 1274A.  The audio out and PTT functions work fine but there is no audio in.

Ideas?  Or does he need the older 1274A to be compatible?

Thanks in advance and 73,

Harold W0HJW

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Harold,

That is correct, the 1274B no longer has a USB sound card built-in. The previous jacks can now be
used for a paddle and PTT.

Your friend just needs to buy a USB headset and he will be in business.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W0HJW

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Mitch,

Thank you for your answer.  This setup is for W6RXH and I'm trying to help remotely.  The radio is a TS-480HX.  I've dug deeper and have fixed a couple of things but still have problems.  The laptop works very well but has limitations.  It has 2 USB ports and runs Windows 10 and it does have Bluetooth 4.0.  The laptop has a 3.5 mm audio output jack.  It does not have a 3.5 mm microphone input jack but it does have a built-in panel-mounted microphone.  Using a USB headset/mic does work but with a very loud hum.  I don't know if the headset/mic is defective and he doesn't have a second one to try.  I can only guess on some things because my 1274A works perfectly into the same exact type of computer.  Because of the two USB ports required to use the PC-Client he is forced to use the computer touchpad as a mouse (which eliminates the right-click capability).

A bluetooth mouse can solve that problem - that is what I use and he will get the exact same type of mouse there.

Another option might be to use a bluetooth headset/mic (similar to what truckers use).  People use those for Skype all the time.  Does the 1274B allow the use of a bluetooth headset/mic instead of a USB version?  That would also solve the problem of running out of USB ports.

There is a loud hum on his signal.  It almost seems like something is breaking into oscillation (a parasitic) because transmit output is there on his output meter without modulation.  The audio itself sounds great except for the hum.

A couple of thoughts that I don't know the answer to - the cable between the headset/mic and the laptop may or may not be shielded.  On the radio end the cable between the RRC Radio Unit and the TS-480HX may or may not be shielded.

He has used the two RRC units (instead of replacing the Control Unit with the PC-Client) and it sounds great.  The problem is definitely when trying to use the PC-Client but there are other variables that I can't reproduce here with the old version 1274A.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.  W6RXH lives right next to the Sacramento Airport and DSL is his only option - no cable is available there.

Harold W0HJW

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Harold,

If the hum only appears when using the PC Client, then it looks like a problem with his USB headset or something
in that chain. It is not at the radio site.

He can try (borrow) a different headset, or buy one for a few Dollars at a store. Yes, a Bluetooth headset should
work fine, if recognized by Windows as an audio device.

Note that he can also buy a cheap USB hub and connect more devices that way, including the headset.

There is no difference as far as the system is concerned if he uses DSL or cable. This is irrelevant.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX