Author Topic: RRC Control Unit USB / Virtual COM Ports issue  (Read 10660 times)

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
RRC Control Unit USB / Virtual COM Ports issue
« on: 2017-04-11, 20:58:15 »
Hello to the group.

My remote system is working very well. However, since yesterday morning, I have been unable to connect any logging software (N1MM+ and DXLab). What I noticed was that after I connect to the remote, I plug the USB cable to the RRC control unit and it does not create the Microbit Virtual COM ports.

I have uninstalled  Microbit Setup Manger and then reinstalled it (v1.31) hoping that it was a driver issue but obtained the same result - no virtual com ports are created when I plug in the USB cable. I have tried three different cables along with two laptops.

I am using software version 2.91 with a Windows 7 and 10 laptop as well as with a K3s and K3/0 Mini.
Not quite sure what happened. The connector on the RRC does not appear to be damaged in any way.

Any assistance as to what I can try next would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Serge
VA3SB

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: RRC Control Unit USB / Virtual COM Ports issue
« Reply #1 on: 2017-04-12, 08:16:09 »
Hi
If nothing at all happens when you connect, no sund or anything from the PC it's probably a broken USB-cable.

73 de mike

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2017-04-12, 13:32:46 »
Hello Mike. Thank you for your response.
I thought that it may have been the cable so I have tried three different cables with the same result. I also tried two laptops.
I opened up the RRC and the connector does not look broken/damaged. I will try again later on this morning. Will let you know how I make out. Thanks.

Serge
VA3SB

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2017-04-12, 13:40:10 »
OK we have never received a RRC with a USB interface which is not working. So the risk that it is a hardware problem in the RRC is very small. I think we have received one where the USB connector was broken off the PCB but that's all.

73 de mike

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2017-04-12, 13:53:26 »
Thank you again Mike.

Tried another cable and the error message I receive is that the USB device that I connected is not recognized. The device malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. No Virtual Com ports are created. As mentioned, this is the same issue on two laptops.

Serge
VA3SB

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2017-04-12, 14:05:06 »
If you try with Setup manager, can Setup Manager communicate with the RRC ?
If it works with SetupManager it's a PC issue

73 de mike

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2017-04-12, 14:08:46 »
Hi again Mike.
If I use Setup Manger, I am in fact able to see the ip addresses for both the RRC Control and Radio units.

Serge
VA3SB

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2017-04-12, 14:15:10 »
Mike, when I use the Setup Manager although I do see both the control and radio unit IP address, if I click on the Serial Port Tab, I get an error. See attached screen shot.

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2017-04-12, 14:21:52 »
Further update.

I am not able to communicate with the RRC Control unit by attempting to use its IP address in the web browser.  I am however, able to communicate with the Radio RRC unit via the web browser.

Serge
VA3SB

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2017-04-12, 14:27:59 »
If the SetupManager in anyway can communicate with the RRC the hardware interface and cable is working. The problem is the PC.

/mike

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2017-04-12, 14:59:45 »
Thanks Mike for your response. Please bear with me as I am trying to understand what is going on.

I am in fact able to see the IP addresses of both the RRC Control and Radio units with Setup Manager (btw both units are within my LAN). I am able to use the browse button within Setup Manger to browse to the RRC Radio IP address. I am not however able to browse to the RRC Control unit IP address.

As both  Laptops that I tried are  connected to the LAN (via Ethernet) as is the RRC Control unit Setup Manager does see both units and provides me with their respective IP address. However, even though the RRC Control unit is connected to the network (Solid Green LED above the USB connector) I am nevertheless unable to access the unit via the web.

I do not have the USB connector connected at this point. Could this problem/behaviour also be related to the loading of the USB virtual com ports? Should I try a factory reset to see if that has any impact? 

Thanks

Serge
VA3SB

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2017-04-12, 15:08:11 »
if you cannot browse the unit the IP settings are wrong or the Ethernet Interface is not working.

Factory default reset only resets the IP number and passwords it does not do any magic

/mike

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2017-04-12, 16:02:08 »
Thanks Mike.
Will try to see if there is a problem with my router/ethernet connection.

Serge
VA3SB

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2017-04-12, 19:39:49 »
Hello again Mike.

I replaced both the ethernet and USB cables to be sure that neither one was causing my USB issue. Connected the RRC Control unit to use my desktop computer computer instead of my two laptops.
I am able to find the IP address of the Control unit  using Setup Manager. I am also able to bring up the settings in web browser. So it is connected to the network and working properly.
Now, when I plug in the USB cable from the front of the RRC Control Unit to the desktop computer I get the following message that pops up:

USB device  not recognized

The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.

I am able to connect the K3/0 Mini using the RRC Control unit to the remote K3s (all located within my LAN).  As I also mentioned, the USB connector on the front of the RRC unit look fine as well. 

Thanks again for your time and effort.

Serge
VA3SB

K0NM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2017-04-14, 17:57:20 »
Mike and Serge,

I have had a USB connector come loose from the PCB after several months of use. All of a sudden, I had no COM ports just like you. The USB connector is soldered on to the PCB without any through holes to anchor it. I sent the PCB to RR so they could see the issue.  This is definitely a weak area if you use the USB connector a lot.

Serge, if the unit was working fine and it suddenly does not create the virtual COM ports, I would open up the box and re-solder the USB connector. Always look for mechanical failures first. You have already ruled out the cables. The software has not changed and there is no reason to debug the computer. The RRC electronics has been rock solid for me for over 4 years without any electronic failures inside the RRC box except for the mechanical failure with the USB connector on the PCB.

Nizar K0NM