Author Topic: DXLab + RRC-1258 + K3/100 - settings?  (Read 3896 times)

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
DXLab + RRC-1258 + K3/100 - settings?
« on: 2017-04-19, 21:16:48 »
With RRCs in Mode 14 a K3/0-mini can control a K3 very well.  Likewise, DXlab will interface with the two Elecraft products flawlessly.  I would like to be able to eliminate my K3/0-mini and control the K3 with just a laptop running DXlab on Win7 and using an FTDI adapter.  I was told that all I had to do was change both RRC boxes to Mode 4.  In doing that I found the following undesirable results.  DXlab (with Commander) does not instruct the RRCs to turn on the K3.  The only way I can get the K3 turned on is by setting the Control RRC's Auto Connect option to Yes which should not be necessary.  Then, when I close DXLab the K3 stays on, which is the second undesirable result.  Other than those two major problems I find that DXLab and RRC alone will adequately control the K3.

I am looking for advice from anyone who might be using the RRC boxes and DXLab to remotely control a K3.  Do you use Mode 4 in both boxes?  Did you have to create a switch command to turn on the K3?  I do not find that 'PS1; sent by Commander will turn on the K3, although several other created commands work fine.  The only useful on/off I am able to achieve is with the K3/0-mini's power switch.  And I want to be able to eliminate the K3/0-mini.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: DXLab + RRC-1258 + K3/100 - settings?
« Reply #1 on: 2017-04-20, 06:39:38 »
The K3 will not turn on using a CAT command. You must use a relay to close pins on the AUX
connector on the back of the radio. This means that if you are not using the K3 Twin mode,
that you need to connect a remote controlled relay to these pins.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2017-04-22, 03:42:06 »
Mitch, would you agree that what I was told about the requirement to use Mode 4 is, in fact, correct?  In other words the only way I can use DXLab + RRC + K3 (no K3/0-mini) is by using Mode 4 and that mode requires a relay for power turn-on?  btw tnx de Art.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2017-04-22, 07:52:16 »
Hi Art,

If you are still going to use a K3/0 or K3, then you should leave it as mode 14. If you will only use it via software
control, the you can use mode 4 instead.

Another idea for you would be to buy the RRC Micro PC Client. This emulates the RRC and uses its I/O settings,
so if you have a K3 setup with cabling for mode 14 on the radio side, connecting via software will turn the K3 on
without any further interface. It of course supports various software clients for CAT control and also CW paddle
support on the newer dongles. This would be a great solution to be flexible in either situation.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2017-04-23, 03:54:25 »
OK, Mitch, it sounds like there was a misunderstanding regarding a requirement to use Mode 4 if using only RRC, DXLab, and a PC (and no K3/0-mini).

The only radio I normally use at home is a K3/100.  When away from home controlling it with a K3/0-mini is great but it takes time and space to set it all up.  I have read a little bit (emphasis on "little") about the dongle you mentioned.  If those dongles now support CW operation I suspect your suggestion could well be the best way to go.  In using the 1258 I figured it would take care of both CW mode plus make DXLab work.  It seems that the RRC Micro PC Client dongle must also create an interface for DXlab just like the 1258 Control does - correct?  Thanks for your advice.  73, Art

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2017-04-23, 09:29:12 »
Hi Art,

Yes, it allows rig control using basically any rig control (CAT) program, so that you works just fine.

I honestly believe that using a RRC as a front-end for a software interface is not utilizing the full potential,
but the RRC Micro PC Client is a good compromise.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX