Author Topic: Aux/Mic lights flash when control RRC is off  (Read 4595 times)

wb7ely

• View Profile
    • WB7ELY
    • Email
Aux/Mic lights flash when control RRC is off
« on: 2017-05-03, 22:33:29 »
Guys-- Here's one for you, I'm a new user and am stumped. I am running a pair of RRC 1258's on my private network. Radio is an IC-706, everything works OK except that when I turn off  the 706 control head and the control RRC, the little amber and green lights still flash next to aux/mic jack! The wired ethernet connection is still active. Could the ethernet be powering the RRC somehow? There's also a faint "bump" coming out of the speaker on the control head. When the lights flash the faint bump noise is heard. Please any ideas/advice?
//Dave WB7ELY

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Aux/Mic lights flash when control RRC is off
« Reply #1 on: 2017-05-03, 22:47:02 »
You didn't say if you also removed the 12v. If you still have power, it will still flash the LEDs.

Even if you did remove 12v and still have the USB cable coming from a live port, it will still
provide power to light them.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

wb7ely

• View Profile
    • WB7ELY
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2017-05-03, 23:41:03 »
Thanks Mitch-- Yes, the 12V was removed, only the live Ethernet cable was still connected. I don't mind the lights being powered via Ethernet but it bothers me to hear the "bump" noise in the unpowered speaker. I use the same desk for my home office and now must unplug the speaker cable.
Here's some photos of the setup I am using, remote 706 is 900 ft up the mountain behind my QTH: http://www.valhallatreefarm.com/WB7ELY/RRC/rrc.htm

//dave
//Dave WB7ELY

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2017-05-04, 08:04:12 »
The RRC cannot be powered over Ethernet. But as Mitch says it's partly powered from USB to make it possible to upgrade firmware in production without also connecting 12V.

/mike

wb7ely

• View Profile
    • WB7ELY
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2017-05-15, 05:36:20 »
Guys-- This is rather strange but... the RRC-Control has a wifi card. There is NO POWER and NO ETHERNET yet the Aux/Mike lights still flash about 1x/sec. What could be powering the lights as there is no power, no USB, no network! There's also a faint "thump" sound coming from the speaker at the same time the lights flash..
Dave
WB7ELY
//Dave WB7ELY

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2017-05-15, 10:33:29 »
If you have found away to make a LED flashing without a supplying any power you are a candidate for the Noble Prize I guess. What have you connected to the RRC except the IC-706 front panel ?

73 de mike

wb7ely

• View Profile
    • WB7ELY
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2017-05-16, 04:03:41 »
Mike-- I guess I do not win the Nobel Prize. Nothing is connected except the power supply which is on a switched outlet. The switched outlet is run off of a solid state relay which is switched by a low voltage toggle in the shack. Oh the switch appears leaky. When I remove the DC plug, the lights go out. My apologies for the dumb post.
73 De Dave WB7ELY
//Dave WB7ELY

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2017-05-16, 08:24:59 »
Great to hear that you find the reason, No question is too dumb to be asked.

73 de mike