Author Topic: Alternative ways to power ON the IC-7100?  (Read 5422 times)

AG7GN

• View Profile
Alternative ways to power ON the IC-7100?
« on: 2017-06-23, 23:59:01 »
Hello,

There are a couple of old threads not this topic, but no resolution as far as I can see.  The thread at http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=4586.msg21544 is most like the question I'm about to ask.

I've been using fldigi running on a Raspberry Pi, and the Pi is connected to the 7100 via USB (no SignalLink needed because the 7100 has a built-in sound card).  I ran fldigi on the Pi from remote locations by using X forwarding over SSH and I could also issue Linux commands on the Pi to the USB serial port to turn the 7100 on and off.  It all worked great.

Now I have the 7100 attached to a RRC-1258MkIIs via the controller cable because I have a need to operate the radio (voice mode) from another building.  The radio's USB interface is still connected to the Pi for digital modes (I moved the Pi and the radio to the other building).  This setup works GREAT for voice, and I can still use X forwarding to run fldigi.  However, now that the 7100 is connected to the 1258, the serial commands I send to the radio from the Pi no longer turn the radio on.  I restored the original configuration:  Radio connected directly to the controller, and the serial on/off commands I send from the Pi work fine.  When the 7100 is connected to the 1258, however, the power ON command I send from he Pi does not work (but the power OFF command does).  This isn't a big deal when I'm home, but I'd like to operate fldigi when traveling and not have to take the 7100 controller and 1258 or buy the RR client just to turn the radio on/off.  I have no desire to operate via voice while traveling.

Questions:

1) Why does the 1258 interfere with my ability to send the POWER ON command to the 7100 from the Pi?  The only connection I have between the 7100 and the 1258 is the controller cable.

2) If there's no answer for (1), is there a way to turn the radio on via the web interface of either the control or radio 1258?

Thanks,

Steve
AG7GN

SO3Z

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Alternative ways to power ON the IC-7100?
« Reply #1 on: 2018-04-27, 09:44:43 »
I had the same questions... and no solution and no answer. I thought that IC7100 is popular TRX.
Sad that nobody from remoterig developers don't care about this issue about powering on transceiver. Nothing changed.

remoterig disturb POWERing ON - I can see that all my programs power on TRX for about 5 seconds, and after that something POWER OFF the radio again.
And it's happend only when radiohead is connected via RemoteRig :(
When it is connected localy to radio all works perfect.

KB8CR

• IC-7100 and IC-706 on RRC's
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-04-30, 17:16:03 »
That is odd, because I have my 7100 hooked up to the RRC, and the USB to my computer. I sometimes run RCForb Server (remotehams.com) on the computer, and it has no problem turning the rig on/off.

I'm no programmer, but Remotehams' programmer worked (using Teamviewer) with me to develop the driver they use for the IC7100, and he had to add some 'null' characters to the "ON" command to get it to work reliably. The "OFF" command worked well right away.

Charlie KB8CR

SO3Z

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-05-01, 12:31:11 »
The question is do you have radio panel in remote location connected via RemoteRig RRC1258 ?
If not you haven't that problem described above.

I tried lower bit rate of CAT,  few programs, I send by myself commands for ON / OFF, but it workes only with panel connected directly to radio (not via RRC1258).

KB8CR

• IC-7100 and IC-706 on RRC's
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2018-05-01, 17:25:25 »
The question is do you have radio panel in remote location connected via RemoteRig RRC1258 ?
If not you haven't that problem described above.

I tried lower bit rate of CAT,  few programs, I send by myself commands for ON / OFF, but it workes only with panel connected directly to radio (not via RRC1258).

Yes, I have had the Control Head not connected to the radio.

I think that the extra null characters in the command were needed to 'wake up' the radio to receive the "ON" command.