Author Topic: IMO Mobile WiFi device  (Read 3170 times)

Mitch

• View Profile
    • 108AT101
    • Email
IMO Mobile WiFi device
« on: 2017-08-14, 00:28:54 »
Hello there,

can anyone help me out and tell me if I get a IMO WiFi device like http://imomobile.co.uk/products/imo-go/ and connect to Radio and the antenna side of Kenwood 480.

I have been told that it is a dynamic IP address would it then possible that I can then forward the ports as normal and use the radio over the internet to the control side.

Many Thanks
Please stay safe. Best 73,   
Gary

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: IMO Mobile WiFi device
« Reply #1 on: 2017-08-14, 01:09:41 »
There are two issues here:

1) You generally can not use 4G for the radio side. The reason is that a consumer LTE service will not usually give you a
true public IP number, instead using internal IP numbers of the network's router. This means that the radio would not be
accessible from the outside using standard port forwards. One way around this is to pay extra or find a network
provider that will offer a true external IP address that you can route to. The other way around this would be to setup a
VPN to reach the radio's network.

2) I am not sure if this device even provides basic router type of functions. You must have a "real" router that allows you
to forward ports. I didn't take the time to download the manual, but it looks like it only provides simple connectivity, but
again I am not sure. Nevertheless, it won't work either way, due to point 1 above.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

oz1rh

• View Profile
Re: IMO Mobile WiFi device
« Reply #2 on: 2017-08-14, 01:27:16 »
The device might work, however your problem is if its SIM card or rather your ISP will give it a public IP address which can be accessed from the Internet. It does not matter if the public IP address is dynamic or static. So ask your ISP and if they do not not know what a public IP address routeable on the Internet is, ask them to to use Google... I have been there, the customer service of my ISP had no idea of this, they just talked of dynamic IP addresses.

73, Palle, OZ1RH.