Author Topic: TERM  (Read 3419 times)

VE3CFK

• View Profile
    • Email
TERM
« on: 2017-09-21, 02:57:00 »
I have K3 twins - K3 with K3/0
I relocated my remote K3 and things did not work.
Brought remote K3 home and setup on local LAN.
I turn control K3/0 on.  The remote K3 turns on.  Control K3/0 locks up and VFO B window displays "TERM" .  When I turn control K3/0 off the remote K3 stays on.

Any suggestions to resolution?
Chet VE3CFK

VE3CFK

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: TERM
« Reply #1 on: 2017-09-21, 04:30:23 »
I have cycled power on router.  Problem not resolved.
I have replaced RS-232 cable between K3 and RRC.  Problem not resolved.
Changed ALL RS-232 settings to 9600 in K3 and RRC.  Problem not resolved.
Ordered new cables from Elecraft for both ends.

oz1rh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-09-21, 13:27:10 »
Have you connected the RS-232 cable to the right port on the K3/P3 and on the RRC? Been there, done that error with the same symptoms as you have.  RRC turns K3 on using a hardware signal on ACC receptacle and turns the K3 off by CAT = RS-232.

Any errors on the status pages of your two RRC's? 'UDP cmd status' could show Error for some other reason. No error shows that the RRC's are connected. If CAT (=UDP cmd) in that case is not working cabling is wrong at the remote K3.

73, Palle, OZ1RH.

VE3CFK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2017-09-26, 22:40:48 »
New replacement cables arrived today.
Replaced the CAT and Serial cables on the Remote K3 = Problem resolved.

Traced the problem to 2 different serial cables I used to connect RemoteRig to K3.  Both were defective !!
This now makes sense, as Palle, OZ1RH had explained.  K3 turned on thru CAT cable and K3 turned off thru serial cable.

The major point I have with this setup, is that when things go bad, where do you start?  I guess if one has experienced ALL the things that can go wrong, one can self direct oneself into finding the problem.

Has anyone developed a LOGIC diagram for problem solving this RemoteRig stuff?  or is it too complex of a system that it cannot be boiled down to a LOGIC diagram?

But when it works it works great.  Just wished it would work for 1000 years between failures.

Chet VE3CFK