Author Topic: New install working great!  (Read 6525 times)

rockyjones

• View Profile
    • Email
New install working great!
« on: 2011-01-04, 18:16:30 »
Just received my Remote Rig boxes yesterday and got them working today.  Very nice!  Thanks for a great solution to remote operation.

I did get hung up on one thing during the install.  From what I read in the manual, I could use my DYNDNS name but I couldn't get that to work.  I ended up having to use the actual IP address in the SIP Connect field.  Maybe there is a particular form of the DYNDNS name that is supposed to be used?  My address is in the form of xxxxx.homeip.net.  If I just put that in the SIP Connect entry box, Remote Rig will not connect.  Tried http://HTTP://xxxxx.homeip.net and that didn't work either.  I would like to get this sorted out so I don't have to worry about Comcast changing my IP during a QSO and I'm dropped out until I look up the new address and plug it in!  If I use xxxxx.homeip.net in my browser, I get right to the router so I'm not sure what the problem might be.

I'm using the "stereo" version of Remote Rig but only using a Icom 756 Pro II at the moment so not taking advantage of the dual receive yet.  Running version 2.30 of the application software.

One other glitch I had was with the radio control function.  I made up a cable for my 756 CIV system as per the Remote Rig manual and used the TTL port but couldn't make that work.  Had to just use my CT-17 and COM2 on both boxes to get connectivity.  This seems to work fine so no problem.  Not sure what was wrong there but no big deal.  I'll play with that later.  Maybe I hosed up the cable connection when I built it.

Joe, W4WT
W4WT

Mark825

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New install working great!
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-05, 00:46:39 »
Hello Joe,
I just received my units today and I was so happy to see that you got everything up and running in one day.
May I e-mail you or call you for some recommendations and pointers?
I would like to get my remote Icom " 9600 baud packet satellite" station going and I would appreciate any feedback.

All the best
Mark Kanawati N4TPY
mark@spacequest.com   

rockyjones

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-05, 01:52:21 »
Sure.  Feel free to email me regarding any questions you might have but understand my experience level is limited, obviously.  The main advice I can give is to follow the online/downloaded manual exactly for your setup.  The only "gotcha" for me was the IP address that went in the SIP Connect field where I put my DYNDNS name rather than a hard IP address and it didn't work.  Make sure you read and do what is said about configuring your router/firewall.  You must look for and disable SIP ALG, if your router has it as an option (both routers) and you must forward the ports properly (I forwarded all ports except Telnet, port 23 - didn't see a reason to forward it) on both routers.

Joe
W4WT

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-05, 09:36:49 »
Joe:

Do you have a valid "Dns server" setting on the "IP Settings" page? What does the "DNS status" show on the "Status" page?
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

rockyjones

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-05, 18:03:07 »
Joe:

Do you have a valid "Dns server" setting on the "IP Settings" page? What does the "DNS status" show on the "Status" page?

Yes.  It is 192.168.0.1 - same as my router address.  Status page shows "OK, remoterig.com = 193.202.110.185"

I just tried again using my DYNDNS address (lets call it "hamshack.homeip.net") and it still fails to connect giving a SIP error.  Changed SIP Connect back to the physical address pointed to by "hamshack.homeip.com" and it connected immediately.

Anything else you would like me to try Jan?

Joe
W4WT

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-05, 18:47:15 »
Is it possible that your xxxx.homeip.net host name is starting with a digit? For ex. 123.homeip.net? If so then that's why it fails using it as digits aren't allowed as the first "character" of a host name.

rockyjones

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-05, 19:31:05 »
That's it!  I do use a numeric for the first digit.  Just created a new DYNDNS host with an alpha for the first digit and it works perfectly.  Thanks for the help Jan.

Joe, W4WT
W4WT

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-05, 19:37:33 »
 ;D

rockyjones

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-07, 03:01:35 »
Finally got the CI-V function working over the TTL port.  Didn't understand from the documentation the settings required for COM2.  After trial and error, I ended up with setting COM2 on both boxes to "logical parallel with COM0" and it is working now controlling the ICOM 756 Pro II through the TTL port without having to use the CT-17.

Joe, W4WT
W4WT