Author Topic: Background noise on mike audio.  (Read 9731 times)

W6SA

• View Profile
Background noise on mike audio.
« on: 2011-06-13, 00:15:27 »
It's always something!

I finally got my PC Client issues squared away and audio now goes both ways using the dongle as my connection for the mike and headphones.  I can't seem to get the audio in my laptop to work for the mike or headset.  Got to be a setting somewhere for that.  Just haven't found it so far. 

I am still testing things out here to be sure I am putting a good signal on the air so I have been monitoring the rig audio with another set of headphones at the rig.  I have a constant background noise which begins the instant I key the PTT on the dongle.  If I have my processor on it just about breaks into oscillation it is so loud.  Just about drowns out my mike audio.  Without the processor on I can hear my mike audio clearly above the background although I think I can still detect it below my modulation. 

It may be a matter of balancing adjustments in the RemoteRig setup with the audio setup in the laptop.  I have cranked the audio for the mike all the way down to nothing and the noise follows the volume setting until it disappears along with the audio.

I have tested with the rig going into a dummy load and with it going to the antenna.  There is no difference so I don't believe it has anything to do with RF.

I run the same test with my 1258 system and the noise is also there but not as loud.  If I turn on the processor it gets up to the level that the PC Client produces when used without the processor on. 

Basically I need to eliminate this background noise from the system and preferably to the point where I can use my processor on the rig otherwise my audio is not as strong as I would prefer it to be.  With only 200 watts into an R7 vertical mounted 5 feet above ground I need all the boost I can get when fighting it out in a pile up.

The rig is a Yaesu FT-1000MP MKV.  I have a line isolator at the antenna and another just outside the shack which is connected to my 10 foot ground rod.  I have split ferrites all over the wiring in the shack.  I will try adding some to the latest wiring additions but it doesn't seem to be an RF issue.

If I could figure out a way to record the noise I would attach a file for suggestions.   I am using the same microphones I normally would use with my rig.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I realize this is difficult without hearing the background noise. 

73 de Walt, W6SA

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Background noise on mike audio.
« Reply #1 on: 2017-09-03, 02:42:22 »
Walt,

I realize this is a very old thread, but I'm very curious, have you ever resolved this issue, and if yes, how?

Marvin VE3VEE