Author Topic: Dynamic DNS for multiple devices?  (Read 11632 times)

NZ5E

• View Profile
Dynamic DNS for multiple devices?
« on: 2011-01-06, 14:05:45 »
I am using Dynamic DNS for the Remote Rig radio box.  I added a Webswitch to turn power on/off to an amplifier.  I am not sure how to implement Dynamic DNS for both the radio box and the Web-Switch.

"...You need to register a account (free) at www.dyndns.com to start with. After that you enter the same information at the Internal DynDNS web page in the RRC. "DynDNS check time" sets how often the IP-check should be done. DynDNS says it should be 10 minutes or longer. If you put 0 the DynDNS client is not activated. There are other providers of the same service but the WEB-Switch only supports DynDNS today. If you have more than one WEB-Switch or RRC-1258 at the same place DynDNS should only be active in one of the units..."

The way I interpret the above information is that you enter the same DynDNS host name, webpage user name, and webpage password into the Web-Switch that you used for the Remote Rig radio box and then set the check time to 0 for the Web-Switch so that DynDNS will only be activated in the Remote Rig radio box and not both the radio box and the Web-Switch.  Is that correct?
« Last Edit: 2011-01-06, 15:03:29 by NZ5E »

Chris DL5NAM

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dynamic DNS for multiple devices?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-06, 15:03:24 »
I am using Dynamic DNS for the Remote Rig radio box.  I added a Webswitch to turn power on/off to an amplifier.  Do I use the same Dynamic DNS information for the Webswitch or do I create a separate DynDNS account for the Webswitch?

It's equal. If you using different (1 or 2 or 3 or) DynDns services, its always the same IP you have! Each Router get only one IP from your provider. This IP will stored in your router. DynDns get this IP by a small upload tool or (in most cases) the router send the IP always to your DynDNS (if you have activated this function)

You have to use different ports - that is the key for you!

80 ist your web
12000, 11000,560x used by RemoteRig
21 by FTP

It's up to you to define a free port for use other Hardware/Server
This new port must configured in your WebSwitch/Server and in your Router.
Both together give the connection

If you not place this port in your router the "door" is closed for external internet use.

Sorry for bad english

73 Chris

NZ5E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-06, 15:10:19 »
I have already setup the radio box and the Web-Switch with independant fixed IP addresses on my LAN and defined different web ports for the two devices, which are forwarded from my router.

My thought process was that if I activated DynDNS on both devices that each would be checking for an IP change every 10 minutes or whatever check time was set and possibly cause a conflict.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-06, 16:44:04 by NZ5E »

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-07, 20:03:34 »
Hi,

if I understand you correctly you are using both the RRC and a Web-Switch behind one single router. In this case the (external) IP is the same for both devices and you have to distinguish between both devices by using different ports (which you have already done).

In this setup it is basically sufficient to only have one of your devices (RRC or WS) updating the DynDNS service, whereas running the DynDNS client on both devices shouldn't make much difference. On the one hand it adds some redundancy to your setup, so if one of your devices fails for some reason, the other one may still work and update your IP. On the other hand you have to be careful as DynDNS stops updating the IP if it gets to many update requests!

What I have done in the past is registering with two different free Dynamic-DNS providers. So one device can update the IP at the first provider and the other one can update at the second provider. If one fails, you can still access (at least the web frontend of) your devices by using the DynDNS name that works.

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ

VK3ZFS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-16, 10:32:16 »
I make use of my remote rig box and dyndns to allow access of a embedded microcontroler with the 1 dyndns url.
port forward setup as:
remote rig web 8000>8000 (changed from default 80)
embedded microcontroler web 8900>80
router access 80> router web

Regards
Frank VK3ZFS

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-17, 03:34:03 »
I have 2 remoterigs and a web switch to turn various devices on/off. It's all about port forwarding in your router, and nothing to do with dyndns.

73!