Author Topic: How to configure IC-7100 radio to work with 2 local controllers  (Read 5701 times)

KB8CR

• IC-7100 and IC-706 on RRC's
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have an Icom 7100, and have been running with the control head connected to the Control RRC. Works fine.

I would like to be able to connect to the radio using a separate Control RRC without the control head, using Ham Radio Deluxe to control the radio, but using the Control RRC for Audio and CW paddle. If I set the jumpers on the Control RRC to use CI-V, do I have to set up the Radio RRC's jumpers to operate as CI-V, or can I leave it like it is (Configured for control head operation)?

I would like to be able to still use the control head with the other Control RRC as it is.

Charlie KB8CR
« Last Edit: 2017-12-12, 00:11:56 by KB8CR »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Charlie,

I am not an Icom expert, but there is no reason why it shouldn't work if you follow a couple of
steps. The radio type will have to be changed in the RRC's to program mode-1 (CI-V).

The strapping only changes the microphone wiring and has nothing to do with the connection.
In looking at the manual, it appears that the strapping recommendation for CI-V is only to allow
you to use the microphone's "UP" button to make the SIP connection, but this connection can also
be made manually using the control RRC's web interface. Therefore, you can leave the strappings
as-is if this is ok and then the existing microphone will works as before.

If you haven't already, I suggest that you first get HRD to work over the existing setup, then it should
fine once you change it.

Also, I know it is a bit pricey, but the control head is available separately:
https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015311

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KB8CR

• View Profile
    • Email
I left the radio rrc set up as it was (set up for control head use)......I tried plugging the microphone into the Control RRC that was setup for control head, but changed the "mode" in the web interface to "CI-V". It worked on CW, but the mic didn't work. Maybe if I change the jumpers in the control RRC to the settings shown for CI-V it'll work.  I'm controlling the radio using COM2. Maybe I'll have to change the "mode" to CI-V on the radio RRC too?

Charlie KB8CR

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Again, the jumpers have NOTHING to do with the transfer mode, only the wiring of the
microphone. Changing them will not make a difference.

Yes, you must always change both RRC's to the same program (radio) mode.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KB8CR

• View Profile
    • Email
Guess this won't work then. I was gonna try to leave the Radio RRC in 7100 mode so I could connect to it with a Control RRC with a control head in 7100 mode, and also connect to it with a PC only with a Control RRC in CI-V mode.

I was going to use my Micro RRC when I go to my Florida QTH, but it keeps disconnecting, and the paddle CW doesn't work worth a darn that way.

Guess I'll just tote the control head with me to FLorida.

Charlie KB8CR

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
I am not sure why it shouldn't work. All you have to do is to access the radio RRC's web page
and change one setting. It should work just fine. I haven't tried using an RRC Micro with the
IC-7100, but maybe nothing needs to be changed. The version 2 of the RRC Micro also supports
use of a paddle.

When I used to "snow bird" in Florida before moving here when I retired, I was really lazy and
had extra RRC's and TS-480 and K3/0 control heads here. Now I have four sets of them on my desk  :)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KB8CR

• View Profile
    • Email
The problem is if I change the radio RRC to CI-V mode, I can't turn the radio on/off. The radio would have to already be on, and then the RJ45 on the Radio RRC would connect to the MIC input on the radio, not the control head port of the radio. Then it wouldn't work with the control head in remote use.

I have the newer Micro RRC software and version 2 dongle, it keeps disconnecting for some reason. and the paddle CW is very flaky. I've all but given up on it.

Yea, it would be nice to just buy another control head and leave it in Florida, but it's pretty steep price.

Charlie KB8CR

In the future, I might take my IC-706 that I originally used for remoterig, and leave its control head and a Control RRC down there, and use IT remotely. (It's just sitting in the closet otherwise. :-)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Not correct. As I wrote before, you can use the RRC's web interface to connect. When you
switch to CI-V mode, there will be a button "connect" there to press.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KB8CR

• View Profile
    • Email
I know....that will connect the RRC's together just fine......but it won't turn the POWER to the radio on or off.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Yes it will!!!!!