RRC 1258 Support in English > Configuration, RRC 1258

Config/Setup

(1/3) > >>

N7UVZ:
Well I got a set of seperation cables for my 706MkII and tried to do the set-up per the Manual.   :-X

I have tried to connect to the units with two laptops, one running XP/SP3 and the other with WIN 7.  Connecting the
units with cat 5 cables to a Netgear Switch, I can see the activity lights happily blinking away on the switch, but do not connect to of either one them using MicroBit setup manager.

When I start microbit manager I get an error message saying "device disconnected"  this is with both laptops.

I then tried to use the USB cable, disconnected the Ethernet cable, unpluged the power, hooked up the USB cable and turned the unit back on.  NOTHING HAPPENED!  The unit I connected up (the remote unit) only had the PWR light blinking slowly.

Anyone have an idea what is going on? 

One other thing that I am wondering about is that is seems that at the remote site the manual seems to think that you will always have a hardwire connection to the internet via Cat 5 cable.  As most places are getting away from hardwire, how are you to connect up the remote unit??  Do I have to buy another Wireless Card? Can I run the remote through my, hopefully working, Laptop?

I hope some one can give me some ideas on getting this working, as right now I am not happy! :-[

Thanks,

Chuck
N7UVZ
Carson city, NV

dj0qn:
Hi Chuck,

I sent you my checklist to help you get started.

To answer your question on a WiFi card; you will find an add-on card as an accessory for the RRC:
http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=1529

Note that it can only be used within an environment where a web page is not used to log on to a
network, like in hotels and other hotspots. You would need a WiFi bridge in that situation. For home
use, the Microbit internal card works just fine.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

N7UVZ:
Mitch:

Thank you for the check list!  My trouble right now is that I cannot even get logged into either unit!  When Microbit Setup Manager runs it shows "Device Disconnected" and will not do anything.  The router has activity lights blinking but nothing happens.

If I plug in the  USB cable I get nothing also.  What should I see on my laptop screen when the USB Cable is in use? Should I see a connect with Setup Manager?

I have a wireless card for use here at home, I see that the system will not be of any use to me at all when on vacation as it will not allow me to connect with out a cat5 connection.  As most Hotel/vacation spots/hotspots no longer use hard-wire this makes the units usless to me.  Even here at home I cannot hook up as I have NO cat5 connection for the remote unit and control head to check it out.  Can I hook the remote box up though my laptop to login? 

Any one have any ideas as to how to use the system from a remote location with out using cat5???  None of my friends use cat5 hook ups at there house so even that is out  :'(  Everything is wireless but how to connect when EVERYONE has some kind of login procedure is the question.  If it is YOUR house/vacation spot, then of coure that is no trouble, you can use cat5 for the radio remote and not worry.

Thanks,

Chuck
N7UVZ

dj0qn:
Take it easy, Chuck, we will get you up and running.

Basically, your first step is to use the Microbit Setup Manager to change the units to DHCP.
There are two ways that you can do this:

1) Plug the USB and ethernet cables into the RRC, then it should should the RRC connected on the first screen.
    Then go to the "setup" tab and click on "get from device". Then click on the DHCP box and then "save to
    device". After rebooting, click on the "net info/find" tab and on the "browse device" button to configure.

2) Without using a USB cable (only over ethernet), go to the  "net info/find" tab and click on the "find devices"
     button. The mark the RRC you want to configure and then click on the "config" button. Click the DHCP box
     and then save. After rebooting, click on the "net info/find" tab and on the "browse device" button to configure.

Like I wrote before, you just need portable WiFi bridge to use in hotels. There has been a lot of discussion on this
subject in this forum if you were to use the search function (something like "hotel" as the search word). There are
a number of products on the market and I use an old Netgear WNCE2001 that I bought for about $35 years ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

N7UVZ:
Mitch:

Ok, here we go again, You said to do the following:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version