Author Topic: RRC issue with 857/WiFi  (Read 5936 times)

vk7hh

• View Profile
RRC issue with 857/WiFi
« on: 2018-01-17, 12:41:04 »
Hi all,
Had a couple of issues with my RRC connecting a FT-857.

I have a TP-Link TL-WR802 setup in client mode (connected to a WiFi access point - a Unifi AC Lite AP). I get internet fine through it to my PC. I then connect this to the RRC. Press the button to turn it on. It appears to try to turn on and makes the 857 beep, but fails to start. It does this three times then stops.

The RRC works fine when plugged into my local network. Has anyone had any similar issues? I don't think the AP has any SIP related restrictions, its only bridging my LAN to WiFi.

I also tried connected via my iPhone hotspot. This worked, however I noticed dropped audio frames. Probably my 4G connection at the time?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: RRC issue with 857/WiFi
« Reply #1 on: 2018-01-17, 19:27:57 »
Hard to say, but make sure that the TL-WR802 has its firewall turned off and SIP ALG is also not
enabled. If it allows your PC to access the WiFi, then it should work on your RRC as well.

I also assumed that your RRC is set to DHCP and the TL-WR802's DHCP server is turned off.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

vk7hh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-01-18, 04:03:56 »
Hi Mitch,
The TL-WR802 I don't think has a firewall as much when running in "client" mode as it basically just is a wireless to ethernet bridge.

The RRC is set to DHCP and the DHCP server is set to off, it simply passes everything through.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-01-18, 04:11:40 »
Hi Mitch,
The TL-WR802 I don't think has a firewall as much when running in "client" mode as it basically just is a wireless to ethernet bridge.

The RRC is set to DHCP and the DHCP server is set to off, it simply passes everything through.
I agree with you that a bridge should normally not have a firewall if designed correctly, but I have seen some routers that were run in bridge mode indeed still had firewalls running. That is why I suggested that you double-check it. The problem you described is typical for firewalls.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Gesendet von meinem SM-T810 mit Tapatalk

vk7hh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2018-01-22, 00:26:42 »
Thanks Mitch. I'll try it connecting through a different wireless AP first to see if I can eliminate that.

The TPLink doesn't seem to have any firewall options when in the client (bridge) mode. I'll have to keep having a play and see.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2018-01-22, 02:31:25 »
Good luck. These sort of things are figured out by the process of elimination, so at least you
can narrow down where the problem lies.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

vk7hh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2018-01-22, 11:45:58 »
Thanks for the reply.

So I did some further testing tonight. I can get the Control RRC to connect via the TPLink in client mode to my phone which is in hotspot mode. Aside from the occasional dropped packet (can probably change this in settings) it seems to be working and fires up everytime.

I then tried on two different wifi access points at  home here and they will not connect properly. I did on one occasion get the remote rig to connect. It clicked as if powering on once, then the second time it tried again and connected. I then switched the rig off, reconnected and it clicked three times to try and power up, but doesn't.

I've checked all my IP settings, and I can ping from my laptop the remote end, and access the internet fine. I even went into hotspot mode in the TPLink and disabled SIP ALG.

Also tried the TPLink in a hotspot mode, but still no go. The Control RRC works fine on my home network, so it's not an issue with my core router.

Maybe it's just a rubbish TPLink device...

SM5DXU

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2018-01-26, 17:46:51 »
Thanks for the reply.

So I did some further testing tonight. I can get the Control RRC to connect via the TPLink in client mode to my phone which is in hotspot mode. Aside from the occasional dropped packet (can probably change this in settings) it seems to be working and fires up everytime.

I then tried on two different wifi access points at  home here and they will not connect properly. I did on one occasion get the remote rig to connect. It clicked as if powering on once, then the second time it tried again and connected. I then switched the rig off, reconnected and it clicked three times to try and power up, but doesn't.

I've checked all my IP settings, and I can ping from my laptop the remote end, and access the internet fine. I even went into hotspot mode in the TPLink and disabled SIP ALG.

Also tried the TPLink in a hotspot mode, but still no go. The Control RRC works fine on my home network, so it's not an issue with my core router.

Maybe it's just a rubbish TPLink device...
You may be right. I replaced the TPLink router supplied by the internet provider for the remote QTH with a D-Link router and the remote control started working right away!

The internet provider has since then changed their choice to D-Link!

Skickat från min F5121 via Tapatalk