Author Topic: Problems connecting to Elecraft Radios  (Read 5289 times)

DL3LSM

• View Profile
    • Email
Problems connecting to Elecraft Radios
« on: 2011-01-12, 19:40:58 »
Hi there,

I know there are some members here who operate their K3s remotely. As this is is my goal too I'd like to ask some questions.

I'm testing at the moment using my K2 (as it is available to me right now, the K3 is far away). TX and RX audio and PTT are working but I cannot control the radio using TRX-Manager (it works if I connect TRX-Manager directly).

Serial cables are connected to COM2 on the RRC boxes - both straight standard cables.

My setup:

Radio settings: as described in the manual except using 4800 baud and 2 stop bits for the K2 (for the K3 this would be 38400 baud instead).

Serial settings (COM2): Mode-4; 4800 / 8-N-2

Any idea what I'm missing??

Thank you very much!

73 de Mario (DL3LSM)

DL3LSM

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Problems connecting to Elecraft Radios
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-13, 09:03:52 »
Just an addition..

When I set "COM2 mode" to "Mode-3" (char timeout), "Mode-1" (char-by-char) or "Mode-5" (user-def-terminator - using 3b ";" which is at the end of every CAT command) I can see the frequency of the K2 in HRD although the digits are jumping around.. I see nothing in TRX-Manager which I planned to use.. If I just use a terminal on the PC typing CAT commands manually I can see that the responses coming in are very much garbled which might be the reason that the frequency display in HRD is jumping..

I really cannot figure out what "Mode-4" (Kenwood, Yaesu, Elecraft) is supposed to do and there nothing is happening..

I'm using hardware version 5 and the latest firmware..

Thanks for any help.

73 de Mario

Hi there,

I know there are some members here who operate their K3s remotely. As this is is my goal too I'd like to ask some questions.

I'm testing at the moment using my K2 (as it is available to me right now, the K3 is far away). TX and RX audio and PTT are working but I cannot control the radio using TRX-Manager (it works if I connect TRX-Manager directly).

Serial cables are connected to COM2 on the RRC boxes - both straight standard cables.

My setup:

Radio settings: as described in the manual except using 4800 baud and 2 stop bits for the K2 (for the K3 this would be 38400 baud instead).

Serial settings (COM2): Mode-4; 4800 / 8-N-2

Any idea what I'm missing??

Thank you very much!

73 de Mario (DL3LSM)

DL3LSM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-14, 10:54:41 »
With the help of Tom (K8TB - thank you again) it works now..

I duplicated his serial settings ("Mode 3" char-timeout and only 1 stop-bit not 2 as Elecraft is suggesting for the K2) and it worked using both HRD and TRX-Manager.

So the reason for the faulty transfer was my using of 2 stop-bits.. That's why TRX-Manager and HRD were working directly (because there I cannot set stop-bits) but not via the Remoterig boxes.. Simple reason, big headache.. :-)

Does anybody know if the char-timeout mode is recommendable for remoting via the internet (traffic wise)??

Thanks again for your help Tom, it was necessary for me to see a setup and the settings which are working to duplicate this.. The manual is a bit counter intuitive because I was tempted to use "Mode-4" first (it is saying Elecraft)..

I'm looking forward to do the actual remote setup using the K3 in some weeks (it's more then 400km away from me).

Best 73 de Mario, DL3LSM

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-14, 12:08:23 »
Mode 4 should be used for Elecraft. The commands in the Elecraft protocol is ending with a semicolon ;
that is the sign which tells the system to send the message over the IP-net.

In mode 3 the message is sent if there is a pause in the incomming data or when the buffer is full it also works in most cases but mode 4 is more secure

73 de mike

DL3LSM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-14, 14:56:53 »
Mode 4 should be used for Elecraft. The commands in the Elecraft protocol is ending with a semicolon ;
that is the sign which tells the system to send the message over the IP-net.

In mode 3 the message is sent if there is a pause in the incomming data or when the buffer is full it also works in most cases but mode 4 is more secure

73 de mike

Thank you Mike.. Now with 1 stop-bit it's also working in Mode-4..

73 de Mario