RRC-Micro PC Client in English > General discussion

Do I need the 1274B?

<< < (2/2)

k5xm:
Hi Joe, and thanks for your comments.
The TS-480 control head is attached to the RRC Control here at home, and the RRC remote and the main body of the 480 are at the ranch--just a regular system.   I am using COM2 for the CAT control--but the ARCP480 software won't turn on the radio.  After the 480 control head is turned on, the CAT works perfectly.   It just won't turn the system on.
Is there another step in the hookup that I missed?

73 de Trent
K5XM

dj0qn:
Trent,

That is correct...you must first turn the TS-480 on before the software will connect. This is because it
requires the UDP stream first, which is started when you hit the power button.

The advantage of the RRC Micro Client is that it will start the UDP stream and power on the rig remotely
and (only) use the software client like ARCP480 for control. If you already have the control panel with you,
then you can save the money by using its power switch.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k5xm:
Mitch,

Since I don't want to lug the TS-480 control head around, I plan on getting the PC-Micro for when I'm travelling away from home.

Another possibility might be to get a Ethernet-RS232 converter and hook it up to the remote router, and then use the ARCP software to control the remote rig, instead of using COM2 on the RRC Remote box.  Has anyone tried this method?

Thanks again!
73 de Trent   K5XM

dj0qn:
Trent,

You will be much happier with the RRC Micro Client. There is no easy way to transport audio or CAT using
the method you are proposing. The Microbit solution solves both automatically and also turns the rig on.
If you are a CW or digital op, it also gives you more flexibility with those modes.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version