Author Topic: Voice processing at control-RRC ?  (Read 3254 times)

EA1HET

• View Profile
    • Email
Voice processing at control-RRC ?
« on: 2018-02-05, 13:50:16 »
Hi there,

My RRD solution is working currently with a FT-857D. I want to use my 5 band equalizer with compression (a device by UR6QW) which is a device that sits in between microphone and rig, and I thought it was not working because of the rig configuration (processor level, mic level, INRAD filter in TX). After putting all elements affecting microphone to default state I keep on having issues.

The question is: Does the control-RRC do any kind of voice handling/treatment/modification that can affect the original sound being injected by the AUX/MIC connector?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Jonathan
EA1HET

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Voice processing at control-RRC ?
« Reply #1 on: 2018-02-05, 13:58:27 »
In the linear modes there is no compression or anything else. In the A-law modes compression/decompression is done according to the specs for a-law

73 de mike

EA1HET

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-02-05, 14:28:33 »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick answer.

I'm using audio mode 2 (16bit, 8kHz), that was I asked. OK. weird situation. If I press the microphone I'm sending a carrier with noise but not with my modulation.

I'll use the EQ unit removing the RRC to check it it's working as expected.

Best regard,

Jonathan
EA1HET
« Last Edit: 2018-02-05, 14:30:38 by EA1HET »

EA1HET

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-02-10, 12:41:11 »
*** SOLVED ***

Root Cause Analysis

Explanation:
  • When I try to use the UR6QW 5 Band EQ the control-RRC does not provide the power the EQ unit requires to work.
  • When I do PTT in SSB and the rig enters TX, a carrier is generated but it's not modulated (due to the lack of power in the control-RRC). Yaesu FT-857 generates a carrier without modulation or rather a electronics component noise, but, the fact is that this carrier or electronic noise disappear if you move several meters away of the antenna field.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,

Jonathan
EA1HET
« Last Edit: 2018-02-10, 12:42:50 by EA1HET »