Author Topic: Strange connection problems  (Read 2451 times)

w0ag

• View Profile
    • Email
Strange connection problems
« on: 2018-02-22, 01:27:09 »
I'm currently using a K3/0 to connect to to a remote K3 and may be experiencing an RRC hardware problem at the remote end.  It was working just fine for a couple of months and then all of a sudden I couldn't get any logging software to find the rig.  That went on for a month and then the remote K3 completely disappeared and the K3/0 stopped with "TERM" displayed on the screen.  I've tried several times over the past 2 months to connect with no success.  3 days ago I turned the K3/0 on and hoped for a miracle.  Bingo!  It connected perfectly and I was able to operate.  However, logging software still can't find the K3 so I think I'm still on thin ice just waiting for another complete failure.

I think I've checked all setup items and they appear to be correct.  The only things I can't figure out are the I/O settings on both  remote and local.  They are set to OFF on the remote and I/O on the local (OUT0 Mode is "Connect").  I don't think any of these settings are causing my problem, but really don't know.

Does anyone have any ideas where I might go from here or will I need to be back at the remote station to troubleshoot?

Mike - W0AG

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Strange connection problems
« Reply #1 on: 2018-02-22, 03:24:30 »
Mike,

It is extremely rare that a working RRC all of a sudden stops working. Similar reports of the type of problem you are
describing come up all the time, but something like 99%+ of the problem was not with the RRC. The problem is usually
related to something in the environment that has changed, e.g. by the ISP, a cable that came loose or went bad, a
bad or changed router or switch, etc.

The only way to really find the problem is by using the process of elimination. Make a list of everything, including cables,
and work backwards from there. Make sure that both the RRC's and both K3's have the newest firmware. I would start with
cabling on the control side first. I can go on and on, but you get the idea.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w0ag

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Strange connection problems
« Reply #2 on: 2018-02-23, 22:10:21 »
Mitch,

Thanks for the response!  I suspect you are correct since something seems intermittently flaky on the remote end.  Unfortunately, I'm currently too far away to visit the remote site so troubleshooting will have to wait until I can return.  I'll post anything I find once I get back and check things out.

Mike - W0AG