Author Topic: some success with ft 857 but strange transmit issue and power up issue  (Read 4887 times)

w5rhr

• View Profile
After correcting a wiring issue  with my homebrew connection cableI can now link the units together. I have ordered the factory cables to replace them just to be sure.

However I have the following two issues:

1. The unit will not power up right away , sometimes it takes several attempts to push the power button on the panel, sometimes I have to power down the radio body, sometimes I restart one or both RRCs until I have a connection.

A the RRC and radio are on separate power supplys
  B. the units are on the same local LAN

Once powered up it receives OK.

2 Trying to transmit first the MH59 would not key the radio. Investigation found the hand mic need power to operate the PTT (it is keyed from the misc microprocessor), no power is provided on the MIC jack of the RRC, I had another analog mic to try and it worked.

HOWEVER when I finally got PTT no audio is passed , instead a repeating "buzzing" sound is passed! No modulation can be heard.
I tried some settings in the advanced packet settings no to avail.

I verified the jumper straps are correct and the radio settings are as per the manual.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

w5rhr

• View Profile
Now as per a post in other subforum unit wont power up

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
What is the status page report when you attempt to power up?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w5rhr

• View Profile
I am at work now but I will respond back when I return home and look at the status page

w5rhr

• View Profile
here is the status page of radio end

radio just clicks control head does not light up

no audio or rf from radio

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
That is indicating a perfect connect. There is nothing wrong with the RRC setup at this point.

The problem must be in the wiring. The RRC thinks it is working, so some cable must be loose,
defective or plugged into the wrong jack. Even if you think the cables are correct, you need to
go back to square one and retest everything on both ends to locate the issue.

Other than wiring, this problem could be caused by a power supply delivering less than 13.8v,
so you can double-check these as well.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w5rhr

• View Profile
That is indicating a perfect connect. There is nothing wrong with the RRC setup at this point.

The problem must be in the wiring. The RRC thinks it is working, so some cable must be loose,
defective or plugged into the wrong jack. Even if you think the cables are correct, you need to
go back to square one and retest everything on both ends to locate the issue.

Other than wiring, this problem could be caused by a power supply delivering less than 13.8v,
so you can double-check these as well.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Mitch I appreciate you taking the time to assist me it is frustrating.

So I have been over the strapping and it aligns with the manual, as well as the jumper assignments.

I ordered the YA9 cables from the rrc ttl ports to the radio and head, so it is factory.

The 8 wire cables for the microphone are factory CAT5 cables tested all 8 pins

I thought about the power supply it is the one included in the kit and it reads 13.8 under no load, I will swap with another supply.

The unit was working with my Alinco prior to this but that was through the MIC/AUX jacks only. It seems the TTL connection is the issue.

BTW I can re-attach the control to the radio and it works, so I can check off those components.

When I tried last night pressing the power button a few times would sometimes try to turn on the radio, it would make a clicking sound, the control unit would neve rpower up.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Do you have a separate power supply for the Radio-RRC ?
A common problem is that the FT-857 makes a short circuit when it powers up and many even 30A power supplies can not deliver 13.8V during this short period and that makes the Radio-RRC to reset. If you hear the click when power up that's a typical indication of that problem.

/mike

w5rhr

• View Profile
Do you have a separate power supply for the Radio-RRC ?
A common problem is that the FT-857 makes a short circuit when it powers up and many even 30A power supplies can not deliver 13.8V during this short period and that makes the Radio-RRC to reset. If you hear the click when power up that's a typical indication of that problem.

/mike

Yes it is the power supply that came with the RRC package on a separate AC outlet even, I did measure the output of the wall wart at 13.8 volts but that was not under load I will try swapping the radio RRC power supply