Author Topic: Problem with UDP CMD Port  (Read 6937 times)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Problem with UDP CMD Port
« on: 2018-03-01, 07:02:09 »
I am helping someone that has had a running station for several years, which stopped working after some internet issues caused
by the hurricane. The internet is back up, but now he can no longer connect without errors and gets cut-off immediately.

As far as I can tell, something is blocking the UDP cmd port. I tried changing the port to several others of various lengths, but it
makes no difference. The status screen shows the following:

connection status: faulty
SIP status: connected/transfering
Last SIP error: none
RTP status: excellent (60)
UDP cmd status: error(0)

I tried everything I could to change things around in the router and of course the port numbers.

We also tried two different routers with the same results. The wiring of the RRC to the rig and the red straps were also checked and are ok.

What could be causing this problem?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Problem with UDP CMD Port
« Reply #1 on: 2018-03-01, 08:17:31 »
Hi Mitch

Your knowledge in this area is at least as good as mine so I do not have much to add.

There was some customer in NA which had a ISP that did not transfer short UDP packages so we introduced the "UDP cmd min-data-size" settings to be able to set a minimum package length, that solved their problem. As it's only the CMD port which is the problem that might be something to try, But it's strange that this shows up without changing ISP

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-03-01, 15:16:33 »
Hi MIke,

Thanks, that is something new to me. This has been a frustrating experience, so hopefully that will work.

You didn't say how much to enter, nor does the manual, so we will try the middle (50) later today and see
if this helps. I will report back with the results.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-03-01, 15:26:09 »
Hi
It's lomg time ago but I think it had to be more than 10 bytes to be transferred at that time

/mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2018-03-02, 02:02:46 »
Unfortunately that didn't work. I tried every 10 numbers from 10 through 90 without any difference.

I am at the end of what this could be. The only thing left is that the ISP is blocking these packets.

Any other possibility?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2018-03-02, 08:30:47 »
Is the system tested on the same LAN ? Are cables etc OK
I think if no serial data is comming in to the RRC it will not send any CMD packages and it will look like the CMD port is blocked

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2018-03-02, 15:22:49 »
There is no way to test it on the same LAN, the station is very far away. However, I tested it from here yesterday
and had the same result. I have also had the cables and straps rechecked and all appears OK.

I asked them to contact their ISP to see if they can figure out if it is a firewall problem.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

oz1rh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2018-04-30, 20:25:20 »
On my setup with an IC-7100 and RRC boxes I have experienced UDP cmd status: error a few times during the last 5 years. In my case the IC-7100 radio locks up which can be overcome by power cycling of its 13,8 V. Restart of the remote RRC does not help. As I have a RigRunner 4005i see www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=rr_4005i power cycling of the radio is easy to do remote.

73, Palle, OZ1RH

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2018-04-30, 23:19:58 »
Did you try changing the  "UDP cmd min-data-size"?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

oz1rh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2018-05-08, 11:46:30 »
I have not changed "UDP cmd min-data-size". I noticed my problem some years ago and after checking, reboot and power cycling both RRC I ended up by power cycling the IC-7100 radio box (13,8 V off and on) and after that no more "UDP cmd Error" and the IC-7100 control panel could power on and start working. I may have had to power cycle the IC-7100 radio box about 3 times the last 5 years, so it is not a frequent problem. I have never seen similar "UDP cmd Error" with my K3 - K3/0-Mini setup.

73, Palle, OZ1RH.