Author Topic: TS-480 and HRD  (Read 10460 times)

Mitch

• View Profile
    • 108AT101
    • Email
TS-480 and HRD
« on: 2018-04-08, 02:16:09 »
Hi there,

Can anyone help me out i would like to connect both the RRC Radio side and the RRC Control using Ham Radio Delux,  Would anyone know how i can set the COM ports on each box and would i have to change settings in HRD, both RRC and Kenwood 480

73 Gary
Please stay safe. Best 73,   
Gary

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: TS-480 and HRD
« Reply #1 on: 2018-04-08, 04:00:45 »
Hi Gary,

Here is my CAT checklist:

CAT CHECKLIST
---------------------
IMPORTANT: In both scenarios, you MUST first install a standard serial cable between the TS-480 body and COM2 of the radio RRC!

USING A STANDARD SERIAL CABLE
============================
1) Change the CAT rate on the TS-480 to 4800 baud (menu 56). This rate keeps traffic over the internet to a minimum and faster is not necessary for CAT.

2) Change the COM2 serial settings of the radio-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1 and submit/apply changes.

3) Change the COM2 serial settings of the control-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1 and submit/apply changes.

4) Plug a serial cable in between your PC and the control-RRC COM2

5) Set your software to use the correct COM port on your PC at 4800-8-1-N

USING A USB CABLE
=================
1) Change the CAT rate on the TS-480 to 4800 baud (menu 56). This rate keeps traffic over the internet to a minimum and faster is not necessary for CAT.

2) Change the COM2 serial settings of the radio-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1 and submit/apply changes.

3) Install the Microbit Setup Manager if you already haven't. You don't need the problem for this, but this installs the correct drivers on your PC.

4) Change the COM2 serial settings of the control-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1, "use USB Com Port as COM2" to "Yes" and submit/apply changes.

5) Plug a USB cable between your PC and control-RRC. Make sure you do NOT do his before step 3 above!

6) Find out the correct port in your Windows Device Manager to use by looking for the "Microbit RRC Virtual COM Port (COM2)"

7) Set your software to use the this COM port on your PC at 4800-8-1-N.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Mitch

• View Profile
    • 108AT101
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-04-08, 09:54:22 »
Hi Mitch,

many thanks will try and change Serial settings at radio side in the next week or so.

Gary
Gary

ea1gwm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-04-11, 22:16:06 »
I just started with the Hrd, and the first problems begin.

If I turn on the equipment kenwood 480 which is with remoterig 1258mkII and then the hrd, it works, I can turn off directly on hrd and re-start from hrd the computer without any problem.

But if it is the first time I can not turn on the computer by hrd, I have to physically turn on the 480 screen, the next few times I would have no problem until I turn off the pc. In the pc I have the usb so they do not disconnect, I do not know what the reason will be. With the program of kenwood ARCP-480 the same thing happens to me.

Another flaw is that when I turn off the computer from hrd, the screen turns off and I stop receiving the sound of the equipment, but instead I continue to receive sound and if I dare to go to the internet, the radio is on.

Also I just downloaded the rrcmicro and which connect with hrd, in this case no problem works correctly, in test version. The question of whether or not it could be made digital by means of this system. I see that cw and fonia if you can.

All this is with the idea of ​​being able to make digital when I'm not at home, in your case with teamviewer to turn on the hrd and this the team. Or in your case if I do not, the other option would be with the laptop and the laptop.

The configuration of this is the one that you explain with com2 to virtual 4800/8/1 also tested with usb to com directly in rrc-control.

Thank you.

Acabo de empezar con el Hrd, y empiezan los primeros problemas.

Si enciendo el equipo kenwood 480 el cual esta con remoterig 1258mkII  y despues el hrd, funciona, puedo apagar directamente en hrd y volver a encender desde hrd el equipo sin ningún problema.

Pero si es la primera vez no me deja encender el equipo por medio de hrd, tengo que encenderlo físicamente en la pantalla del 480, las próximas veces ya no tendría problema hasta que vuelva a apagar el pc. En el pc tengo los usb para que no se desconecten, no se cual sera el motivo.Con el programa de kenwood ARCP-480 me pasa lo mismo.

Otro fallo es que cuando apago el equipo desde hrd, la pantalla se apaga y dejo de recibir el sonido del equipo, pero en cambio sigo recibiendo sonido y si acedo atreves de internet a la rrc-radio esta encendida.

Tambien me acabo de descargar el rrcmicro y el cual conecte con hrd, en este caso no hay problema funciona correctamente, en version prueba. La duda de rrcmicro es si se podría hacer digitales por medio de este sistema.Veo que cw y fonia si se puede.

Todo esto es con la idea de poder hacer digitales cuando no estoy en casa, en su caso con teamviewer para encender el hrd y este el equipo. O en su caso si no lo consigo, la otra opción seria con rrcmicro y el portátil.

La configuración de esto es la que explicas con com2 a virtual 4800/8/1 también probado con usb a com directamente en rrc-control.

Gracias.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2018-04-11, 22:47:36 »
I am not sure if I 100% understood you, but this is normal behavior.

The RRC sets up the SIP stream from the radio and that is what is used for CAT control. Therefore,
HRD can not possibly turn on the radio using only HRD and requires the RRC to be connected first.

The RRC Micro works completely differently and sets up the stream and turns on the radio by itself.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

ea1gwm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2018-04-11, 23:18:49 »
Thank you very much for the answer, the first time is as you say you can not turn it on from hrd and then not in theory either, but as it does not disconnect it completely, even if the screen does. This can be switched on again from hrd. But if you acerad to the rrc-radio you see that it is on. A fault is what it allows, that's why I did not understand what the reason was.

What I do not know is with the rrcmicro if you can make digital correctly and what sound card you would have to configure in the digital program be hrd, jtdx ..

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2018-04-12, 02:55:43 »
You use the sound card that you select in RRC Micro as the input and output in your digital program.
Note that these use Windows settings, so you will likely need to adjust the settings in Windows as well.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Mitch

• View Profile
    • 108AT101
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2018-04-30, 03:39:07 »
Hi Gary,

Here is my CAT checklist:

CAT CHECKLIST
---------------------
IMPORTANT: In both scenarios, you MUST first install a standard serial cable between the TS-480 body and COM2 of the radio RRC!

USING A STANDARD SERIAL CABLE
============================

3) Change the COM2 serial settings of the control-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1 and submit/apply changes.

4) Plug a serial cable in between your PC and the control-RRC COM2

5) Set your software to use the correct COM port on your PC at 4800-8-1-N

USING A USB CABLE
=================

3) Install the Microbit Setup Manager if you already haven't. You don't need the problem for this, but this installs the correct drivers on your PC.

4) Change the COM2 serial settings of the control-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1, "use USB Com Port as COM2" to "Yes" and submit/apply changes.

5) Plug a USB cable between your PC and control-RRC. Make sure you do NOT do his before step 3 above!

6) Find out the correct port in your Windows Device Manager to use by looking for the "Microbit RRC Virtual COM Port (COM2)"

7) Set your software to use the this COM port on your PC at 4800-8-1-N.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Hi Mitch,

Tried your CAT checklist to work HRD with a Kenwood 480 to Remoterig, I am getting message that radio can't be found. Would you have any suggestions how to work it correct.

Mitch have tried looking into device manager to make sure of correct Ports (COM & LPT) > USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM12) and is same when building new HRD not Demo 480

73 Gary
Gary

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2018-04-30, 05:11:05 »
Gary,

It says your baud rate is set to 115200! Is that correct? My checklist says to set everything to 4800 baud:
- Both RRC's COM2
- The rig's CAT setting
- HRD

I suspect that you are not setting HRD correctly, since it always defaults back to 115200 baud if you change the
COM port number.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Mitch

• View Profile
    • 108AT101
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2018-04-30, 07:49:38 »
Morning Mitch,

I have followed all as you posted 115200 was a test there. Even tried to change in Device manager (COM & LPT) > USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM12) to (COM2)

Port Setting > Bits per second: (9600) To (4800)
Port Setting > Data bits: 8
Port Setting > Parity: None
Port Setting > Stop bits: 1
Port Setting >  Flow control: None

Device Manager > Port Setting > Advanced Settings for COM2 > COM Port Number: COM2 > Showing not in Use Drop Menu.

73 Gary

Gary

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2018-04-30, 16:45:28 »
Gary,

1) Is the CAT setting in the TS-480 also at 4800?

2) Are both RRC's COM2 serial settings at 4800?

That Windows screen shot is useless. Windows will use whatever you send to it automatically.

Mitch

Mitch

• View Profile
    • 108AT101
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2018-04-30, 23:59:12 »
Hi Mitch

Yes the CAT setting in the TS-480 at 4800

Both RRC's COM2 serial settings at 4800

Install is 4800 but in the Device manager can't configure to Com port 2 in drop down, Says not in use.

73s
Gary
Gary

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2018-05-01, 00:04:37 »
Gary,

There is nothing to configure in the Device Manager. All you do there is to look to
see which virtual port that Windows assigned to the RRC's COM2. It will for all
practical purposes never be COM2. That virtual port number is what is used for HRD.

If you are using a standard serial cable, that is different, but I assume you are using USB.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Mitch

• View Profile
    • 108AT101
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2018-05-02, 23:13:09 »
Hi Mitch,

I have followed all post in the forum, its like it cant fid the driver to work HRD with Remoterig.

From front of Sat 480 9 pin male to female Rs232 straight serial d-sub extension cable to back of RRC Radio Com2.

From com2 on RRC Remote i have USB to Serial 9 pin (RS-232) Adapter Cable tried on both laptops but would not find.

In serial ports HRD on (Only ports connected to PC) this is showing in Com18

Company: Kenwood
Radio: TS-480
COM Port: COM 18 (Also tried Auto-Detect)
Speed: 480 (Also tried Auto-Detect)

73 Gary

Gary

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2018-05-03, 03:05:17 »
Hi Gary,

You keep on missing the most important screen shot....send us the one of the
Windows Device Manager with the serial ports open.

Also make sure that "Use USB Com Port as COM2" on COM2 on the control RRC is set to YES.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX